× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - NAS to NAS backup with rsync - deleting files in target as per source

Jerrico
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - NAS to NAS backup with rsync - deleting files in target as per source

Latest version of Radiator (5.3.13) on both ReadyNAS NV+ V2 systems - attempting to do a rsync backup across VPN.

This question follows on from this previous thread:

Backup ReadyNas to ReadyNas with rsync and exclude lists

That is, the rsync support provided by Frontview is just woeful for this device.  Specifically I am referring to the lack of folder exclusion lists and the option for 'deleting files in target that were deleted in source'.  I can see that these options are availabe in (it seems) every other model of ReadyNAS, both prior and after...

The thread I meantion discussed a way to achieve these options by editing /frontview/bin/backup.  However, this has now been disabled in current firmwares due to the fact that this file is now a compiled file.  (A fact which which is confounding in and of itself - why disable a user generated fix for your product's obvious defect?)

I can see from the /frontview/bin/backup.orig file that the --delete option would be very easy to add if I could then compile this file to make a new backup executeable.  Is it possible to recompile /frontview/bin/backup from /frontview/bin/backup.orig? 

Is there any other method to do an rsync NAS to NAS backup and use the --delete option?  I actually purchased these products for this purpose and I am just astonished to find that advertised functionality of 'rsysnc' is in fact only half-arsed rudimentary implementation. >:|

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Jerrico
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - NAS to NAS backup with rsync - deleting files in target as per source

I can confirm that this unit is capable of these rsync protocol features (delete files on target that were deleted on source & file/folder exclude lists).  The backup script at /frontview/bin/backup supports these options, so it's just a matter of making the cron entry /etc/cron.d/frontview-backup also support them.  This last is the file that is created by the frontview html interface (and over-written with each modification to each backup job) - it is that that is deficient. Importantly, this cron entry is also used when you manually "run" the backup job in frontview as well (and the file is also not regenerated on a manual run).  That is, everything is there to support these features except they didn't bother adding the html controls...thanks Netgear 8|.  In fact, in my quick perusal of the html code it appears it is also largely implemented in there too - somebody with some more html experience might be able to provide a better hack than I have, that is, to edit the html code and provide the required controls.  Anyway, by using another script and another cron-job, I can ensure that the appropriate fields are populated in the backup cron job and my rsync now works as I would like.  If anybody wants some more details (i.e. copies of the files - there are a few traps to watch out for), please ask.

Hopefully Netgear won't change things to disable this hack like was done for ianmacd in the post "Backup ReadyNas to ReadyNas with rsync and exclude lists"....

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 - NAS to NAS backup with rsync - deleting files in target as per source

Hi Jerrico,

Let me try to inquire about your concern. I will respond back once I have any information.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
Jerrico
Aspirant

Hi FramerV,

Thanks very much for your interest.  I plan to have a play with ReadyNAS Replicate to see if it will provide a suitable alternative but I would certainly appreaciate any suggestions regarding rsync.  This would be a much more elegant solution.  It also appears so frustratingly close to functional (to my inexpert eye) in that the backup script already has the mechanisms to cope with the html options (for exclude and delete anyway), should they exist....

Thx and Regards,

Jerrico

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Jerrico wrote:

It also appears so frustratingly close to functional...

Unfortunately that is the case with the 5.3.x ReadyNAS.  The other platforms (OS 4 and OS 6) do have exclude lists, and the option to delete files that are no longer on the source.

Message 4 of 5
Jerrico
Aspirant

I can confirm that this unit is capable of these rsync protocol features (delete files on target that were deleted on source & file/folder exclude lists).  The backup script at /frontview/bin/backup supports these options, so it's just a matter of making the cron entry /etc/cron.d/frontview-backup also support them.  This last is the file that is created by the frontview html interface (and over-written with each modification to each backup job) - it is that that is deficient. Importantly, this cron entry is also used when you manually "run" the backup job in frontview as well (and the file is also not regenerated on a manual run).  That is, everything is there to support these features except they didn't bother adding the html controls...thanks Netgear 8|.  In fact, in my quick perusal of the html code it appears it is also largely implemented in there too - somebody with some more html experience might be able to provide a better hack than I have, that is, to edit the html code and provide the required controls.  Anyway, by using another script and another cron-job, I can ensure that the appropriate fields are populated in the backup cron job and my rsync now works as I would like.  If anybody wants some more details (i.e. copies of the files - there are a few traps to watch out for), please ask.

Hopefully Netgear won't change things to disable this hack like was done for ianmacd in the post "Backup ReadyNas to ReadyNas with rsync and exclude lists"....

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements