× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Nv+ Cannot login to set up

HuMpH24
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Nv+ Cannot login to set up

Hi,

I have just got a readynas and am having a couple issues setting it up.

I should point out that it was bought from auction site so is not brand new item. Infact after reading some posts in here I found it is pretty old tech now.

Anyhow I put in 1 hd just to make sure it was all working, the hd was only a 250gb and was already empty. I installed Raidar and it shows the Nas and details as it should.

I then added a second 250gb drive again empty and it shows in Raidar that both drives are found..all good so far, I then fired up IE and tried to connect to Nas admin to set things up but am now stuck in a loop of it asking for login details.

I read here that admin/password should work but I still cannot login, after 3 tries it goes to 401 error.

I have tried resetting to factory as I wanted the disks as jbod mode so it said to change to flex raid, also the drives are empty anyway so no media to lose.

Any help to get into admin would be appreciated.

The display on the box shows the ip addy and the c:232 ect but not the 2nd drive unless theres a way to scroll in the window.

Model: ReadyNASRND4410|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Nv+ Cannot login to set up

I suggest switching to user-mode security.

There is a guide here: http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how-to-migrate-to-user-security-mode_4917.html

You don't actually need to create a user if you simply want all the shares to be fully open - you can either use admin/admin, or nobody/nogroup for the owner/group of each share.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If this is a v1 unit running RAIDiator 4.x then the default password is 'netgear1' (no quotes). If your unit is running RAIDIator 3 then the default password is 'infrant1' (no quotes).

Message 2 of 13
HuMpH24
Aspirant

Thanks it is the v1 so first one worked,huge thanks.

All I need to do now is work out how I get the disks set up properly. I was hoping to use it like I use my other nas boxes, ie each drive is a seperate server so in windows I would see c: d: e: ect is this possible with these boxes ?

I now have both drives found but windows just shows readynas as 2 folders..backup and media, frontview or whatever it's called said it found C and then D so I need to do a lot more reading lol.

I wanted music on one and movies on another and so on.

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You can set up jbod (each disk its own volume).

The best way to do that is to do a factory default with just 1 disk in place.  When you start the default, you have a 5-10 minute window to access the NAS with RAIDar, and change the RAID mode from xraid to flexraid/RAID-0.  That will create a C volume using just the one drive.

After that, you can insert the addition drives (one a time is what I'd suggest), and create additional single-drive volumes.

Message 4 of 13
HuMpH24
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Ive got as far as adding the second disk as a volume, all done as you listed but now when I try to connect to the second drive its asking for login details but I did not set up any p/w so need to go back and see what I have missed.

Slowly getting there lol thanks to the good info on here and people taking the time to answer so Huge thanks lads.

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

The default admin password is netgear1

Message 6 of 13
HuMpH24
Aspirant

Once I set up the 2nd drive as a volume I had to make a share, I called the share media2 so when I open explorer and look in network I have 3 folders for the readynas, backup,media and now media2.

When I click on media or backup they open and work fine but when I select my new share media2 it throws up a login window asking for a network password.

I have compared all 3 shares in frontview and all look identical settings so am not sure what I am missing.

The default password does not work.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

What security mode are you using? What firmware are you running?

Message 8 of 13
HuMpH24
Aspirant

Security mode = share

firmware = 4.1.14

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

I suggest switching to user-mode security.

There is a guide here: http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how-to-migrate-to-user-security-mode_4917.html

You don't actually need to create a user if you simply want all the shares to be fully open - you can either use admin/admin, or nobody/nogroup for the owner/group of each share.

Message 10 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi HuMpH24,

In addition to StephenB's suggestion, here's another article from NETGEAR you can look at and ensure that "Allow guest access" is ticked.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 13
HuMpH24
Aspirant

All sorted..changed mode as suggested and quick look at those links posted and finally have it working.

Huge thanks to all for your help,really appreciated.

Message 12 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi HuMpH24,

We appreciate the feedback and for letting us know we've been a big help resolving the your issue. You've already marked this thread closed and community looks forward to hearing from you more often by posting suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your ReadyNAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements