× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS as file server, bidirectional file sharing?

padmaster
Aspirant

ReadyNAS as file server, bidirectional file sharing?

I'm looking at purchasing a ReadyNAS for a file server and external backup. Probably will get a 102 with dual 2T drives in RAID1.
I do CAD work and routinely have large files I need to deliver to my customers.
I would use the NAS basically as a file server to upload files to and then share the folder with my customer so they can download the files.
But can the customer whom the folder is shared with, upload files to his shared folder?

Also, when you login thru the web interface, is that logging in directly to the NAS, or is that going thru a different web domain?
Some of the files I have contain confidential information and I'm not sure some of my customers would like their info going thru an unknown domain.

Thanks
Message 1 of 14
Nhellie
Virtuoso

I would use ReadyCloud in this case.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -system%3F
Message 2 of 14
RX
Luminary
Luminary

padmaster wrote:
can the customer whom the folder is shared with, upload files to his shared folder?

Yes, as long as you grant Read/Write access to the shared folder for your customers.

padmaster wrote:
when you login thru the web interface, is that logging in directly to the NAS, or is that going thru a different web domain?

It is logging in through the NAS.
Message 3 of 14
padmaster
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick responses, just one more question.....

Looks like I can get the diskless unit and purchase the (compatible) drives myself for about $70 cheaper than ordering a populated unit.
Is there any disadvantage to doing this? Any complex process to get the drives recognized? Are the drives hot swappable?
Message 4 of 14
RX
Luminary
Luminary

There would be no problem if you purchased a diskless unit. You will just have to insert the compatible drives in it and go to the intial process and let it resync.
Message 5 of 14
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Advantage would be the price, I thinks it is cheaper getting them separately. But, if the drives come along with the unit it is easier to process a replacement since you don't have to contact the drive manufacturer anymore. Yes, they are how swappable. If they are brand new drives you just simply boot it on the unit, there will be an installation wizard that will walk you through the process.
Message 6 of 14
padmaster
Aspirant

Reading thru some of the posts I noticed the 200 series is now available. Using the NAS as a file server, would there be any distinct advantage to getting the 202 vs. the 102?

Can the memory in these units be upgraded?
Message 7 of 14
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Regarding the advantage of the 200 series over 100 series, check these forum links below:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=80023&start=15
https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=79382

More about the RN200 series on these links:

http://netgear.com/home/products/connec ... eadynas200
http://www.netgear.com/about/press-rele ... -2015.aspx
Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I have both the RN102 and the RN202. The RN202 is a lot faster.

My RN102 is using WD30EFRX disks in jbod mode, gigabit ethernet w/o jumbo frames. Antivirus is disabled.
My RN202 uses WD60EFRX disks, but is similarly configured (it is not using NIC teaming).

I just measured throughput on both with NAStester 1.7

RN202: ~92 MB/s write and ~96 MB/s read speeds
RN102: ~55 MB/s write and ~62 MB/s read speeds.
Message 9 of 14
padmaster
Aspirant

Thanks for the info everyone, just gotta look into a few more things before I pull the trigger.

No one answered my question: Can the memory in these units be upgraded?
I'm thinking not but just thought I'd ask since I have an extra 8gb of memory laying around.
Message 10 of 14
Nhellie
Virtuoso

I believe the memory is soldered on the unit, so the answer is no.
Message 11 of 14
CLHatch
Luminary

padmaster wrote:
Thanks for the info everyone, just gotta look into a few more things before I pull the trigger.

No one answered my question: Can the memory in these units be upgraded?
I'm thinking not but just thought I'd ask since I have an extra 8gb of memory laying around.

The 31x series (312, 314 and 316), the memory is upgradable. According to support here, it's not "officially supported," but it does not void the warranty either. It's s standard SODIMM module to replace. Might take a look at the 312 if you are considering the 202. I believe the prices are comparable, with even more speed with the 312 (it uses an Intel Atom processor).
Message 12 of 14
MarkWalt
Aspirant

I own a Readynas 102 (RN10200) and run it in raid 1 as a personal NAS. I have no issues with latency etc so from a single user point of view it's a great unit. Point well taken with the multiuser performance, but I feel the 102 would definitely stuggle. ReadyCloud is a possible answer to the customer file sharing issue but you'd probably be better off just uploading the files to google drive / dropbox etc. All round less hassle / potential for security issues (eg having to open ports on your router or change the default port etc).

A passing comment on drives (because I can't find it anywhere), which is that the 102 seems to work perfectly well with the WD WD50EFRX (5 TB) drive. I bought one (on spec) to run along side my WD40EFRX and it hasn't missed a beat in 8 months. I will shortly be buying a WD60EFRX (6 T) drive to try (unless someone else has already used them). Thanks. 

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@MarkWalt wrote:

A passing comment on drives (because I can't find it anywhere), which is that the 102 seems to work perfectly well with the WD WD50EFRX (5 TB) drive. I bought one (on spec) to run along side my WD40EFRX and it hasn't missed a beat in 8 months. I will shortly be buying a WD60EFRX (6 T) drive to try (unless someone else has already used them). Thanks. 

The WD60EFRX has recently been added to the HCL for the RN102.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements