× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS creating C message... what does it mean?

Nasuser4
Aspirant

ReadyNAS creating C message... what does it mean?

Hi,

I purchased a RN314 and was using it for about 6 months. Then one day it stopped working. I performed a USB recovery without success. So I took the 4 drives (X-RAID) and connected it to my old nv+. powered it up and it said Updating or Installing FW and then continued onto creating c ...with a % counter. Then I powered it down because i was affraid that it would wipe my drives.

Is it supposed to do that?

Should i have left it alone?

What does creating C... mean?

Did it wipe away my data?

Thanks 

Model: RN31441D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS creating C message... what does it mean?

Although the older and newer systems use "XRAID", the file system is completely different.  And while OS6.x warns you that your drives are not blank in case you wanted to retain data from them, earlier OS's did not.  Yes, you likely wiped out all of your data.  Yes, it's supposed to do that.

Your first mistake was not coming here or directly to Netgear support first for advise.  Your second was doing a USB restore -- it is very unlikely that was what you needed.  The third was assuming that you could move the drives between dissimilar hardware.

"Creating C" means it was formatting your drives, which would wipe out your data.  A paid recovery service may be able to recover some of the data.  I don't think Netgear will even try in this case.

Message 2 of 9
Nasuser4
Aspirant

Thank you SandShark for the information. 

Unfortunately, I did not know what I was doing..... and now I am just trying to get back my RN314 working again. 

I am hoping that I turned off the unit fast enough to cause minimal loss of data. It was creating the C volume at about 2-4% when i unplugged it from the wall.... 

Eversince we had a poweroutage at the house, the current NAS was not booting up and was stuck on the booting ... status.  I hooked up a display to it and it told me to insert a bootable disk.  So I figured that i needed to reinstall the OS via the USB recovery tool. Maybe it got corrupt somehow during the power outage. 

I tried various USB sticks, used the "usbrecovery.v2.0.R15-T3", and found a couple of them that gave me the "gpio_it87 unknown chip found 8721 revision4".  I spent the better part of a day trying to get it to boot from the USB stick. I several FW versions, including the version that came with the unit (OS 6.4.2)

After that, I tried to enter the boot menu to do a OS reinstall. And was unable to enter the boot menu. I tried it with the drives in and out of the system. There seems to be no way for me to enter the boot menu......

Do you think that the motherboard, RAM, or flash failed? What can I do to recover the NAS?

Do you think that if i get the NAS working again or buy a new RN314 that I can recover the data by using the disks as is with the OS6.X firmware?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If you power up the NAS with no disks inserted, does it show a "no disks" status?  If so, does RAIDar discover it on another PC?

When did you purchase the NAS?  Are you the first owner, or is it used?

Message 4 of 9
Nasuser4
Aspirant

No, it doesn't get that far. All I get is the Welcome to Netgear and then the Booting ... Message. I am the second user. My brother gave it to me when he upgraded a few years ago.
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Nasuser4 wrote:
No, it doesn't get that far. All I get is the Welcome to Netgear and then the Booting ... Message.

This is with the disks removed?  Does RAIDar give you any status?

Your brother can still arrange for support (passing over the fact that he gave it to you).  Maybe consider it a loan.

When did he purchase the NAS?  His hardware warranty is three years from his purchase date.  Also if he purchased between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2017 then he has free lifetime chat support.

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

It's hard to say what happened now that you have done more things to the unit.  You may have needed an OS re-install.  That's not the same thing as a USB recovery.  You may have had  a full OS partition, which is made worse by any attempt at installing anything.

From what I have read, the warning message you got during the USB recovery is just a bug and does not affect the ability of the recovery to work.  And the fact that you got it means the recovery process at least started.

The first thing is to see if you are covered under warranty to get the NAS working. 

As for your drives, the file system structure is going to be damaged.  So, as I said earlier, data recovery will be your only hope.  Netgear may be able to do it, but it's not included in the warranty.

Message 7 of 9
Nasuser4
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen and Sandshark!

I am going to check if my unit is under warranty to fix the NAS and then find somebody to do data recovery on the disks.

What should I do with the disks after I am done with the data recovery process and I have a working NAS?

Do yo have any recommendations as to whom can perform the data recovery other than NETGEAR?

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I am not familiar with any companies that do data recovery.  ReclaMe is a software product with which some have had success.  It's a bit expensive, but you can try it to see if it will recover anything before you buy.  They have a money-back guarantee if it appeared that recovery was possible but after you paid, it wasn't..  Of course, you'd need a Windows machine on which you could mount all your drives for ReclaiMe to work and a place to store all the files you recover.

The drives are probably physically fine and once your data is recovered can be re-used.  You should test them with manufacturers tools before you do so, just to be sure.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements