× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas 104 Setup Advice

tomsmith24
Follower

ReadyNas 104 Setup Advice

Hi

I am looking for some help/advice please?

I have got a RN104, which currently has 1x 4tb drive in it, and is only used for storing music/videos on my home network.

I have bought another 4tb and want to add this to the ReadyNas, but dont want to lose any of the space to backups etc.

What is the best practice for doing this? Are there settings i can change, or should i install the drive into bay 3 on the ReadyNas?

Thanks.

Tom

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Re: ReadyNas 104 Setup Advice

Simple you insert the second and normally the unit will just add parity and you'll get a raid 1.

Be patient!

Message 2 of 6
coloatty
Luminary

@tomsmith24 wrote:

. . . I have bought another 4tb and want to add this to the ReadyNas, but dont want to lose any of the space to backups etc.

Do you mean you want total capacity of 8TB (4TB+4TB) in JBOD, or between the two 4TB drives, do you want total capacity of 4TB in RAID 1? 

One best practice is to have an external backup of data on the NAS just in case.

Message 3 of 6

JBOD is not to be recommanded at all!!!!

The peupose of a NAS is redundancy so instead you should by an US hub and USB disk and done deal!!

Minimum redundancy is RAID 1, or Netgear Raid!

Redundancy has a consequance capacity lost, on the other hand you have safety!!

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

JBOD is not to be recommanded at all!!!!

There certainly are people who want to maximize space, and who don't care about redundancy.

You can go with jbod by turning off XRAID.   It's best to have one volume per disk (otherwise the entire volume is lost when any disk fails).

Message 5 of 6

I agree @StephenB but the unit can be configured with RAID 5  or Flex Raid with minor volume reduction!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements