× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas 316- Help for a green newcomer

AndrewWB
Aspirant

ReadyNas 316- Help for a green newcomer

Hi All.

I am a self employed consultant based in the Uk and like many business folk I use laptops for my day to day computing needs. However I was concerned about data security and the need to ensure that electronic materials given to me by clients did ultimately make their way onto our office based server. I ought to add at this point that I work remotely a great deal and am rarely in the main office. I can go many weeks therefore without  touching base and hence I felt I needed something a little more robust by way of back up than simply relying on my laptops, - hence a Readynas with a RAID volume!

However whilst i have been able to use the Nas to back up data, I havent found the  online Netgear articles easy to understand generally. Therefore, and as a complete novice, i have often found myself either unable to make features work as i assume they are intended or fearful that data is not protected adequately or at all. Whilst some of my issues are not important, a couple of matters I feel i really need to resolve.

Firstly Anti Virus/Malware Software. My Nas is running the Netgear Anti virus plus that came with the machine and i have set it to update and scan regularly and update. However is this adequate and is there other software I ought to put on the Nas to ensure data is secure?? Money is not so much the issue here as ignorance as to what to get (if anything) and how to configure it.

Secondly is there a more basic and step by step guide as to how can give remote access to my secretary to download  data I dump  on the Nas? I have attempted to set up the Readycloud which i can view remotely no problem. Howver my efforts to get my secretary connected have  failed badly  We have managed to set an accout up for her but when logging in it says the Nas is not on the network. Plainly i need to get her machine to find my Nas accross the net but i am not clear on how to do it. Attempts at finding in the ReadyCloud portal have failed.  Also i am not totally clear i have set the file volumes up so that she can only have access to the share i have tried to set  and not the Nas data as a whole.

Thus is there  a simple and  straightforward guide out there that I can follow to talk me through the process? The tutorials i have read all deal with scanarios where the remote user logs on and can view the data but it skips much detail. there is especially little detail I have found for when  an idiot (me) has puportedly configured the system  and yet the remote user  cant view the data.

I suspect I would benefit from some professional help and ultimately I may have to go down that route. However I thought I would try a post here. I am grateful in anticipation for any assistance you can give.

Finally my laptops run W10. My Secretary is running W7 if this makes a difference.  

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Is your secretary only working from the office?  Is that also where the NAS is located?

Message 2 of 10
AndrewWB
Aspirant

HI Steven

No she is in a remote office 75 miles away. That is why i want to link up if i can as it will save lots of travel and enable the secure transfer of documents.

Any ideas?

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@AndrewWB wrote:

HI Steven

No she is in a remote office 75 miles away. That is why i want to link up if i can as it will save lots of travel and enable the secure transfer of documents.

Any ideas?

First I'm trying to get a handle on the usage.  Is that NAS in your home?  If so, both of you are accessing it remotely most of the time - is that right?

Message 4 of 10
AndrewWB
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.

Yes the Nas is in my home. I tend to work more from home than the office although i do need to occasionally access the Nas remotely. My secretary if of course miles away.

As an example, today I returned from my meetings with a load of materials which need transfereing to the office. mainly lage pictures, and scanned PDFs. Too big to email. ideally i would like to dump on my server from the laptop and then create a link so my secretary can suck the data down to the firms official server. THis would be preferable and more secure than say a One Drive or Drop box- or so my thinking goes.

Does this help? I am sorry if my initial post was vague.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

No problem, I'm just wanting to make sure I understand the use case.

So the NAS in in your home, and you are usually home when you load files onto it.  Your secretary is always in the remote office, and you need a convenient way to get her access to those files.  Your NAS is behind your home router/hub, your secretary's PC is behind the corporate firewall.

One way to do this is to put all your data into a public share on the NAS, and and set up your secretary with a ReadyCloud account that has access to the share.  She'd need to have the ReadyCloud application stored on the PC.  She could access the share and read/copy all the files.  The data does go through the Netgear Cloud Server, and while Netgear says that is secure, there isn't a lot of information available from Netgear on ReadyCloud security. 

A second way to do this is to give the secretary a local account on the NAS, and enable the share for FTP access.  FTP stands for "file transfer protocol".  She'd have an FTP client installed on her PC - FileZilla and WinSCP are two free clients that would work. She could then access the NAS from her office, and copy everything in the share.  The transfers would be encrypted, and she'd have to log into the NAS with a username/password. The setup is a bit more complicated than ReadyCloud, but we could walk you through it.

If the home office has an IT department, you might to run both of these approaches by them.  Let us know which you prefer, and we can go from there.

Message 6 of 10
AndrewWB
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

Thank you for your reply. I think the readycloud route souds simplest for me and I attempted this as you will see. Sadly when i attempted to run the Readycloud on the remote secretarys  computer it effectively said it couldnt find my Nas.

I could do with a step by step walk through of what settings i have to have on the NAS and on her machine to access the individual folder i have created for her. I hope you can help. Remember i am of very limited ability with Computers!

many thanks

Andrew

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If you are the original purchaser, and purchased between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016 then you have lifetime chat support for your ReadyNAS.  So you could use that first; it might a quicker way to resolve your problem.

There's not a huge amount of help I can give on ReadyCloud, since I am not using it myself at present (I didn't experience the mynetgear account changes last spring). But a step-by-step here is a good approach, as there are lots of posters who are using it.

Message 8 of 10
AndrewWB
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

i take it you are more familiar with the FTP approach you suggested? I took a look at this and at the Filezilla site. I suppose one advantage of this is that the data goes nowhere but on your own systems.

Do I, and if so how would i get Filezilla on the Nas? Is there a step by step guide for this solution you can point me to?

Regards

Andrew

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You already have an FTP server on the NAS.  What you'd need to do is

(a) configure FTP on the NAS

(1) no anonymous access

(2) require FTPS  [encryption]

(3) set a suitable passive port range (51000-51020 will do)

(b) enable FTP for each share you want your secretary to access

(c) reserve a fixed IP for the NAS in your router (we'd need the router model to help on that)

(d) forward the passive ports to the ReadyNAS in the router

(e) get an DDNS address set up for your home router (for instance AndrewWB.xxx.yyy)  There are free DDNS providers, setup options depend on the router

(f) Install FileZilla on the secretary's PC, and configure it with the FTP server name (AndrewWB.xxx.yyy), username, and password

It's not as hard as the list might make you think.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements