× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas - Copying files with Windows Drive Maps via Hostname leads to dropped connection but not IP

tekzpot
Aspirant

ReadyNas - Copying files with Windows Drive Maps via Hostname leads to dropped connection but not IP

Hi, I have an issue whereby when creating drive maps with win10 to readynas shares and copying files the file transfer starts, copies for roughly 2 or 3 seconds and then zero's out and stops, windows eventually reports a networking problem occured.

Oddly enough, if I map the share with IP address instead there are no issues and the file transfer completed everytime with a 5-10MB's transfer rate (I think this is normal for wireless N).

The NAS is sitting on 2 VLANs with vlan tagging on the second VLAN and VLAN 0 for all other traffic.

The DNS on the readynas are both set to the router and the routers DNS is set to googles DNS server.

I did create an internal DNS record as my router supports LAN DNS resolution and used a local suffix but I've disabled that now as it's outside the scope of my knowledge and troubleshooting and thought it could be interfering. Since then I've changed the hostname of the ready and confirmed the issue is still occuring.

NBTSTAT dump:

NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics
----------------------------------------------------

Resolved By Broadcast = 18
Resolved By Name Server = 0

Registered By Broadcast = 4
Registered By Name Server = 0

NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
---------------------------------------------
䥓䉍䡁‱††††䥓䉍䡁‱†††
SIMBAH1 <00>
SIMBAH1 <00>
SIMBAH1 <00>
SIMBAH1 <00>
SIMBAH1 <00>
SIMBAH1 <00>
SIMBAH1 <00>

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
SIMBAH1 <00> UNIQUE Registered
SIMBAH1 <03> UNIQUE Registered
SIMBAH1 <20> UNIQUE Registered
☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered

Running a nslookup on the IP or hostname of the NAS doesn't resolve anything anymore, not even if I specify my router for the lookup. I''m fairly sure it used to.

I'm at a loss now, just to go over the issue again, when tranferring files to (either by mapping or direct) the NAS via SMB (only protocol I use) via hostname on internal workgroup on VLAN 1 (main NIC on NAS) the tranfer starts, copies roughly for 2 seconds, then slows down to 0 transfer rate and then fails, yet when using the IP of the NAS it works fine.

Any help greatly appreciated, if you need more information let me know, I could also video of it happening if needed.

Kind regards,

W

ReadyNAS N314

Firmware 6.9.4

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements