× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Duo v2 does factory reset on Boot

Retired_Member
Not applicable

ReadyNas Duo v2 does factory reset on Boot

ReadyNas duo v2 worked well for a few years. I recently erased the Hard drives WD30EFRX and reinitialised the system and left it to format the drives. All completed but on restarting the Nas it starts rebooting from factory default again and restarts the whole process. i suspect that there must have been a power failure at the time and somehow the HDD got locked. i confrmed this by removing the HDD and putting it in my computer which asks for va password to unlock the drive.

On reading through the posts i see that others have had this issue and solved it but i cant see how they did this. i have no knowlege of Linux or other OS. i ma running windowsw 10 and the ReadyNas software is Raidar version 6.3 and the firmware is version 5.3.13. The unit is out of warranty and seems no support is available. appreciate any help to unlock my drives and reset the system.

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The disks can be unlocked using hdparm e.g.

# hdparm --security-unlock NETGEAR /dev/sda
# hdparm --security-disable NETGEAR /dev/sda

In the Duo v2 the internal disks should be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

You may be able to unlock the disks by hooking them up your Windows 10 PC (seeing it's asking you for a password to unlock the disk that sounds likely) but I haven't tested that.

Welcome to the Community!

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.

1. apoligies for my ignorance but what is "hdparm" and how do i use this with the instructions that you gave me?

2. I have hooked up the disks to my windows 10 PC and on boot up it asks for a password for the drive. i have tried admin, password, nertgear,  and a few others but cant unlock the drive. the PC then boots up after about 3 unsucessful tries but the drive is not visible and cant be accesses. Note that except for the password for the ReadyNas i did not set up any passwords for the drives.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

hdparm is a linux utility, but there is a version for windows that you can download from here: https://sites.google.com/site/disablehddapm/

@mdgm-ntgr's instructions apply if you were running this command from the duo (using ssh).  If you run it from windows, you'd need to use the correct disk (not /dev/sda).

@Retired_Member wrote:

2. I have hooked up the disks to my windows 10 PC and on boot up it asks for a password for the drive. 

Yes, and that is because they were locked in the ReadyNAS.  Are you thinking you could boot up using the disk?  You can't.  And Windows can't read the format either.

The password though would be NETGEAR (all caps).  Let us know if that works (and unlocks the disks).

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the response and guidance. Have made some progress as follows.

1. Used the password NETGEAR in my windows PC and it unlocked the disc. i then deleted all partitions and reformatted the disc. the disc show up in windows but on shut down and restart the disc is again locked and needs the password to open. i tried various formats but cant unlock the disc permanent. is there a low level format that will work?

2. Downloaded hdpharm for windows and trying to learn the program. the program installed many shortcuts to disable or setup APM but i cant get to an admin screen to try the commands to unlock the disc. i granted admin privileges to hdpharm. exe but it flashes on and the screen closes. what am i doing wrong?. Help appreciated.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For #2 you'd probably need to open the command prompt (right click on it and Run as administrator), change the working directory to the directory the executable is in and then run the executable in the command prompt.

Or if you're familiar with the options to use on Windows create a shortcut specifying the appropriate options.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

For #2 you'd probably need to open the command prompt (right click on it and Run as administrator), change the working directory to the directory the executable is in and then run the executable in the command prompt.

Or if you're familiar with the options to use on Windows create a shortcut specifying the appropriate options.

Thanks for that. Ran with hdparm as administrator and checked for drive info HDD hdc (which is my WD drive) with results as follows.

c:\Program Files (x86)\hdparm>hdparm -I /dev/hdc
      0 [main] hdparm 2868 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer.  Please report this problem to
the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com

/dev/hdc:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0
        Serial Number:      WD-WMC4N0D595ZD
        Firmware Revision:  82.00A82
Transport: Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5

Security:
        Master password revision code = 65534
                supported
                enabled
        not   locked
                frozen
        not   expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
        Security level high
        418min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 418min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
Checksum: correct

c:\Program Files (x86)\hdparm>

I then executed the commands to unlock and disable security as per the instructions given before (using hdc) inserted in the command.

On rebooting again the password is still required. i suspect that as the drive still shows as Frozen the commands did not take. Any thoughts on this.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Try sleeping the computer for a few seconds with the drive attached.  Then take it out of sleep, and try the command again.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements