× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas NV+ "Kernel Panic" Error

JerichoT
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ "Kernel Panic" Error

Hi I recently got a second hand ReadyNAS NV+, I have 4 x 2TB Drives ready.

However no matter what I do whenever it powers up I am getting "Kernel Panic"

I inserted one drive to test, still getting Kernel Panic.

I am sure my 2TB drives are good

I read an earlier post here to try checking the memory, which I did. The ram test is ok.

What else should I do? I am a newbie so I'm not too familar with NAS. Thanks

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

If you get the kernel panic with no disks installed, then it isn't about the disks - and you've ruled out memory.

Either something is corrupted in the flash, or there is something else wrong with the system board.  I suggest returning the NAS.

Message 2 of 12
JerichoT
Aspirant

I've read elsewhere that it could be a older firmware that's causing issues?

If so how can I check which firmware I am running? Thanks

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

If it fails with no disks inserted, then the only thing I can think of that might help is a USB recovery. 

https://kb.netgear.com/21400/RAIDiator-4-1-USB-Recovery-Tool

Message 4 of 12
JerichoT
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply

A new update

I am somehow to get the NAS working with only 1 drive (Inserted to the far left drive bay). With only 1 drive inserted I was able to get the drive intialized, booted up, and can be seen in RAIDar. I am also able to connect and configure it by entering the IP address of the NAS.

The firmware of the NAS is 4.1.14

However when I tried to add a second drive next to the first drive its a different story. All I see is "Booting, please wait," and the NAS cannot be found in RAIDar.

Any ideas?

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Boot it up with only disk 1 inserted.  Then hot-insert the second disk with the NAS running.  The NAS should detect the disk insertion, format it, and add it to the array.

Message 6 of 12
JerichoT
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply

I eventually did a hard factory reset, and now the NAS is able to detect the 2 drives. I'll populate the other 2 vacent bays with 2TBs each later.

In the meanwhile I am trying to configure the 2 x 2TBs I just inserted as a set of mirrored raid.

When I accessed the control panel page earlier (When I could only get 1 Drive to work) via the NAS IP I could see a whole bunch of options. However when I access the control panel page now, the only option I could see is a "Shares" Tab, with the message "No shares currently accessible." Everything else I had seen earlier is gone.

Any clue to whats going on? Many thanks!!!

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@JerichoT wrote:

However when I access the control panel page now, the only option I could see is a "Shares" Tab, with the message "No shares currently accessible." Everything else I had seen earlier is gone.

Any clue to whats going on? Many thanks!!!

You need to use https://nas-ip-address/admin (or https://nas-hostname/admin)

Message 8 of 12
JerichoT
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, you have been very very helpful

However I am afraid my woes does not end here

I have successfully updated the firmware to 4.1.16. Problem is I can only use 1 drive, but not 2 or more drives.

With 1 drive inserted (to the far left), I was able to boot up fine. Raidar can see the drive, where I can confirm the firmware is now 4.1.16.

But I cannot get it to work with the 2nd drive (Inserted next to the 1st drive), let alone 3 or 4 drives

I tried:

- As you suggested, inserted the second drive as hot swap, when the NAS is still on. The NAS detects the 2nd drive, and displays "Disk 2 detected." But that's it, it just freezes.

- I tried powering on the NAS with both drives, it just shows "Booting...."

- I tried resetting it with OS Reinstall, again it freezes while displaying "Reinstalling FW, please wait" (None of the Green Hard Drive lights are on, while Blue light on Power Button is flashing, fans at max speed, really noisy, it has been like that for several hours)

- I tried resetting it with Factory Reset, and again it freezes while displaying "Factory Default, Please Wait" (None of the Green Hard Drive lights are on, while Blue light on Power Button is flashing, fans at max speed, really noisy, it has been like that for several hours)

I have no problems with OS Reinstall/Factory Reset with 1 drive installed.

I am running out of ideas what I am missing

Again thanks for your valuable input. Cheers!!!

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

What drives (manufacturer and model) are you using?

I'd start by testing the remaining drives in a Windows PC with vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital). You can connect them with a USB adapter or dock if you can't use SATA.

While you are doing that, try powering down, and put the working disk into slot 2.  then power up, and see if it boots correctly. Repeat that process for slots 3 and 4.  That will confirm that the SATA backplane is working.

It is conceivable that a failing PSU might not delivering enough power to handle all the drives.  But I doubt that is happening here, since the NAS is hanging up with only two.

Message 10 of 12
JerichoT
Aspirant

Sorry for the late response, I was out of town earlier

The drive is Western Digital Green Power WD20EURS

Both the drives are the same model

Thanks

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I think the most likely cause here is a failed drive.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements