× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 104 HDD

editnev
Follower

Readynas 104 HDD

Hi all,

Ive got a readynas 104 with 3, 4tb HDDs.. but my available storage is only 8tb .. i have a feeling its beause of raid 5... any way to change this to access the remaining 4tb? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 104 HDD

Hi @editnev

Welcome to the Community!

You are correct it is because of RAID5, the 4TB disk space is being used as protection for your data in the event of one disk failure you will still be able to have access on your data. If you want to use it it as space for your data then you will have to change the RAID type you have. You can setup JBOD (Just a bunch of disks) which creates one volume per disk or use RAID0 which distributes data across multiple disks, resulting in improved disk performance. This RAID types though does not offer any protection to your data so any disk failure will result in data loss.

You will have to change from X-RAID to Flex-RAID first then destroy your current volume and create a new one.

Here are the guides for that.

What is Flex-RAID

How to delete a volume

How to create a volume

Personally I would prefer having protection on my RAID.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@editnev wrote:

Ive got a readynas 104 with 3, 4tb HDDs.. but my available storage is only 8tb .. i have a feeling its beause of raid 5... any way to change this to access the remaining 4tb? 

The capacity rule for XRAID is "sum the disks and subtract the largest", which yields 9 TB (or ~8.2 TiB).  The NAS actually displays TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes = 1 TiB).

This drop in capacity is needed in order to preserve your data if a disk fails, and it is also required if you want to expand the array in the future.  The "missing" space holds the parity blocks that allow the NAS to regenerate the contents of any failed or missing disk from the remaining three.

To change the RAID mode, you need to change to flexraid, destroy the existing volume, and then create new volume(s) using RAID-0 or JBOD.  This is destructive, so you'd need to restore all the data. After the change, a failed disk drive will result in data loss, so you'd need to restore the data from a backup.  Also, you won't be able to expand storage without restoring data from backup.

There are two options if you decide to proceed.  The one I recommend is to create four volume (one for each disk), and to spread your shares across them.  That is a bit more work to maintain, but when a disk fails you will only lose the data on that disk.  The other option is to create one volume that spans all four drives.  That is somewhat more convenient, but when any disk fails you will lose all the data on the NAS.

Message 3 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @editnev

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements