× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 524x EDA500 compatibility

Alex8
Tutor

Readynas 524x EDA500 compatibility

Hello,

I am considering the readynas 524 as it is the only affordable NAS featuring ECC ram that I could find.

The specs mention that it has 1 esata port but doesn't mention compatibility with the EDA500 expansion module.

Some resellers mention compatibility with the EDA500, others do not.

Since this is a 5 years warrantied product that I would like to keep at least that long, I am worried about running out of slots in the future but the 526x is out my budget.

Does the EDA500 officially, or at least unofficially work with the 524x ?

Thanks,

Alex

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas 524x EDA500 compatibility

The RN524X is incompatible with the EDA500.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

i don't own an EDA500.  But there was a recent post that indicated that it did work with an RN628x:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Best-way-to-build-2-NAS-Server-25TB-each-RAID6-...  So it should work with the RN524x as well.

I suspect you will be fine with 4 bays though - with 12 TB disks on the market now, and 16 TB disks projected for 2018.  My own RN524x uses 3x8 TB, so I can easily expand to a 24 TB volume when the time comes.  I suggest you keep a free slot when you install - it's cheaper (per TB gained) to fill an empty slot than it is to replace a working disk that is too small.

Message 2 of 9
Alex8
Tutor

Thanks for your answer.

The eda500 appears to be officially supported in the 526x 528x 626x and 628x documentation, but not in the 524x documentation. That is why I am worried about buying it.

I cannot find any 12TB drives yet here in Canada and I was going for 8tb drives as these have currently the best value. You are right that I would get plenty of space with 10 or 12 tb drives in raid 5 (x-raid).

I know that raid is not a backup but I was looking at raid 10 for extra reliability and less rebuild time with such large drives. With only 4 slots, I guess I would have to go with flex raid.

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

RAID 10 requires flexraid.  XRAID blends RAID 1, 5, and 6 (depending on the drive mix and the redundancy).

I agree 8 TB is the best value at the moment.  Note that if the drive doesn't have the side mounting holes, you can remove the plastic inserts and screw the drives into the bottom of the tray.  FWIW, the WDC Red (WD80EFZX) does have the side mount holes.

Message 4 of 9
hmuessig
Luminary

An "official" answer from Netgear would be appreciated as I too am considering a 52xx series box and have (am very happy with the EDA500).

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
Alex8
Tutor

If you want a 526 or a 528 you're covered, they are listed as compatible with a single EDA500. The 524 on the other hand is not clear

Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN524X is incompatible with the EDA500.

Message 7 of 9
Alex8
Tutor

That's a bummer, no plan on making it compatible in the future with a software update ?

Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think so.

If you run out of slots you expand your volume using higher capacity disks or add another RN524X to your network. Either of these would give you much better performance than adding an EDA500.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements