× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas NV+ V2 Device is offline # 17773704

Lilja
Aspirant

Readynas NV+ V2 Device is offline # 17773704

Did get a new Netgear readynas NV+ V2 the other day. Did work good in the start but after two days use i did get a question to update the firmware in the webcontrole for the nas.
I did update it and did get an error message that the checksum was incorrect. After that the web controle only thell me that "device is offline".
Have tryed to roll back the os on the nas whitout any luck. Did talk to support for 1,5 hours today without luck. But they were wery nice thou.
Any suggestion on how to get it running agein? I can access all my files but the controlepanel cant comunicate with the nas.

Sincerely
Olof
Message 1 of 22
PapaBear1
Guide

The first thing I would do is back up all of your data if it does not still reside in some other spot. Keep in mind that you do have 90 days of free telephone technical support starting with the date of purchase. After that you have free e-mail support for the life of the warranty.

Do you remember which version of the OS was on your machine when you initially started it? Do you remember the version of the OS that was attempted to install?

You might try as OS reinstall first.

Ultra 4 / Ultra 4 Plus / Pro 4 / NV+ v2

To access the boot menu:

1. Power off your unit.
2. Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
3. Press the Power button to power on the unit.
4. Continue to press the Reset button until the status display screen shows an boot menu message.
5. Press the Backup button to scroll through the boot mode options.
6. Press and release Reset button to confirm your boot menu selection.

OS reinstall is the third item in the menu. The system boots in the selected boot mode.
(Note: the reset button is a micro switch located behind a pin hole on the back of the unit next to the upper USB port on the opposite side of the power receptacle.)

OS reinstall will reinstall the OS and reset all the configuration to default, but will not harm the data. (Backups are still a good idea).

If that does not work, the factory default would be the next thing I would try. Go back through the process above to get to the boot menu, but instead, stop at the second option which is factory default.

Please Note: the Factory Default will erase the drives and all data on them will be lost. It will completely restore the unit to the factory condition and install the OS from the on board memory. For this reason, any data on the unit that does not reside elsewhere, must be backed up or copied off first.

If this does not work, then call back to technical support, give them your case number and ask for it to be escalated to the next higher level.
Message 2 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

Thanx for your detaild reply.
I have tryed to run Os reinstall with no luck.
Not all files are on backup at the monent (but working on it). The os on the Nas was 5.3.2 and still is.
It did try to update the firmware but it did roll back when it did not succed i guess. But someting did get messed up.
I have also tried to update to newer firware manually but aim not allowed. System fail is all i get when i try.
The sad thing is that i have used tons of time to set up the NAS and sort all information so i really do not want to run factory reset
And if i do how long til it does get messed up agein? I would really like to se a bug fix to be sure that all is ok for the future.
And as i mentiond the support i have recived i really good. And they have promised to get back to me with more help.
But aim sure that aim not the only one with this problem?

Olof
Message 3 of 22
PapaBear1
Guide

I would suggest that since this is a new system, that you try to call into Tech Support and ask to have it escalated to someone familiar with the NEW NV+ version 2. They may be able to telenet in and solve the situation remotely.

This does sometimes happen if there is a glitch in the download although it has never happened to me. I do, however, make sure I have a current and complete backup of my units before upgrading the OS. (Since I backup my NAS to a second NAS it is a lot easier though.)

If you don't get any satisfaction with Tech Support, post back and let us know. One of the Jedi may see this and step in.
Message 4 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

To start with i have got me a new 3T disc for my stationary pc. All data dackuped and now running a full factort reset on the NAS.
Formating, seting up Raid agen and so on. I hope this will solve the probleme. And now i have one extra disc for backup so in one way it is all good.
But it is really annoying that it did stop working after all this hour och seting it up and copying files.
When it is ready with the factory reset i will run all updates to the firmware. Then we will se what happens.
If the same thing happens i guess i will have to return it?

Olof
Message 5 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you do the factory reset on the v2 it should automatically update to the latest firmware and do a clean install of that.
Message 6 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

Ok. Good to know. Thanx! It will be interesting to see witch firmware is on it when it gets online.
I hade 5.3.2 this morning. But 5.3.4 is the newest right?
19% ready on the NAS so i guess it will take some more time...
Message 7 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

5.3.3 is the latest.
Message 8 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

After 36 hours of copying etc aim almost done. After abot 12 hours of running the factory reset the OS was ok. I can access the web menues agein and all is good. Started copying the 2,4 T back last night and is almost done now. But what the .... did happen? What can i do to prowent it happening in the future? Now i have a backup on my 3T disc as well as on the NAS but i dont want to come in the same situation agein.
Thanx for all your help gays!

Sincerely
Olof
Message 9 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't know how it happened and now you've done a factory default on your system I'm not sure NetGear tech support would be able to work out for sure either.

It shouldn't happen again. A factory default is a last resort if all else fails and is rarely needed.
Message 10 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

I do not think that i will get any more problems ether but my first meting with the Ready nas wasnt plesent for sure!
Now i have to start using it for real and set up different users and backup jobs.

O
Message 11 of 22
PapaBear1
Guide

Lilja wrote:
I do not think that i will get any more problems ether but my first meting with the Ready nas wasnt plesent for sure!
Now i have to start using it for real and set up different users and backup jobs.
O

Very Important as you found out. Just remember that the NAS is a small server and as such is a computer. Strange things can happen and experienced users never trust data to only one device.
Message 12 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

Things is getting better and better.
This morning i woke up to this message:
Disk failure detected. (nas-A0-56-48)
Did reboot and run volyme scan and disk is back and rebuilding.
Now someone tells me that one might have to run a firmware update on my discs to fix the problem.
I have greenline discs and what i was told now is that they respond to slow and that can cause the problem?
Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166
But i have seen lots of geople using and recomending them. And it dont seams like they have any problems?
Thu Feb 2 10:38:47 CET 2012Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 1.
Thu Feb 2 10:38:44 CET 2012Volume scan found and corrected errors
Thu Feb 2 04:39:50 CET 2012 Disk failure detected.
Please advice.

Olof
Message 13 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your disks are not on the Hard Disk HCL and may be incompatible.

Please download your logs (Status > Logs > Download all logs) and extract the zip contents and look in the "disk_smart" log. What is the firmware version for the disks listed? My ST2000DL003-9VT166 disks have firmware CC32.

Also are you able to connect the disks up to a SATA port on your PC and check the disks using SeaTools?
Message 14 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

Thanx for a wery helpful reply! My discs run CC32 as well.
It was tones of data in the file. Any more usful data to find there?

What can i do with Sea tools that can help me?

So maby the discs i was recomended by my supplyer just dont work with my NAS v2?

Olof
Message 15 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

SeaTools can be used to verify if you have a bad disk.

Yes, it is very likely that these disks are incompatible with the v2.
Message 16 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

NV+ V2 will be deliverd back to the supplyer. And i will recive a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 today to replace it.
According to Netgears disc list that one will accept my discs and it allows me to run LMS (Logitech media server).
Anyone how know if i can swap the discs ower to the new nas and all will work or do i have to do it the hard way?

Sincerely
Olof
Message 17 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would suggest backing up your data and doing a factory reset.
Message 18 of 22
Lilja
Aspirant

Ok. By that you say that i put my old discs in the new nas and do a factory reset?
Then it will clear the discs and update firmware etc. Seams like a good idea.

Thanx.
Message 19 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The factory reset will wipe everything on the disks including data. It will not update the firmware.

So do backup your data first.

Best to put a spare disk in the x86 NAS, update to latest firmware e.g. via System > Update > Remote, then power down, remove spare disk from x86 NAS, then move your disks across and do a factory default.
Message 20 of 22
gleam06
Aspirant

Hi.

I've spent the afternoon to debug this new ReadyNas Duo v2 that I've sold to my customer to replace a Qnap TurboNas TS-219PII with a hardware problem.
First, I've ran into most read issues I've been done to read around but finally I've got everything to work. So I've found nice to register in this forum to post the solution to this common unsolved issue.

Issue details :
You got the message "Device is Offline, please wait".

Not Good :
You can try to reinstall the OS with the boot menu but you will loose time and get the same error.
You can format the disk and start over but it's not the good solution.

Good :
Launch putty.exe (if you are under windows, if not, use xterm or whatever) to connect the nas using ssh.
Putty client can be download from chiark web page.

username : root
password : password (by default, or your web admin password)

Once logged in, type :

NAS-console# cd /tmp
NAS-console# rm -rf *
NAS-console# rm -rf .*

Refresh your webpage admin with F5 (if you are under windows).

Issue over : you can see the interface with current parameters and pictures.

Hope you didn't find out before.
Message 21 of 22
ihartley
Tutor

gleam06 wrote:
Hi.

I've spent the afternoon to debug this new ReadyNas Duo v2 that I've sold to my customer to replace a Qnap TurboNas TS-219PII with a hardware problem.

I'm in the process of swapping an NV+ v2 for a QNAP 219P II. You will find out soon why. 😐
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements