× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas trigger drive as Dead but CrystalDisk shows disk in good health?

dannieboiz
Aspirant

Readynas trigger drive as Dead but CrystalDisk shows disk in good health?

This will be the 2nd WD Red drive that the NAS reports to be dead on a ReadyNAS Duo V2. I removed it and tested it on a PC and everything works. Checked with CrystalDiskInfo and it says the drive is also good. Tested again on another ReadyNAS a 4200V2 this time and it shows the drive is bad. Doesn't make any sense to me. Any ideas?

Model: ReadyNAS-4200v2|ReadyNAS 4200v2
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @dannieboiz, are those drives concerned completely empty before inserting into the nas? Might want to check with a partition manager on your workstation and remove any hidden, system or whatever kind of partition, which might make the nas believe the drive is bad.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards.

Message 2 of 6
dannieboiz
Aspirant

Before putting it in the other nas, I deleted all the previous partitions and format the drives. So the drive is for sure empty with no partitions
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I suggest using Lifeguard's write zeros test (zeroing the full disk).  I've found that turns up issues that the non-destructive tests miss.

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No no, @dannieboiz, do not only remove all partitions. Leave the the drive unpartitioned AND unformatted. Do not format the disk. The nas will be happy to do the rest for you after you inserted the truely blank disk.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards.

Message 5 of 6
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Ya, don't format the drive. Put it back in the PC and unformat it.  You don't want anything on it in any way.  It needs to be like you would get a new HDD.  

There is a program called SpinRite from GRC.com which can check HDD.  Even repair issues.  The larger the HDD the longer it takes and it can take a long time.  But it'll go through and check everything, and if there's a bad sector, get it marked bad.    It's not cheap software.  It works low level on the HDD, so it doesn't matter what data is on it, or no data on it.  Even unformated.  If you've had 2 bad WD Red drives showing up as BAD?!?!    I have 4 WD RED 3TB drives, and a couple of them are now over 5 years old and show ZERO errors.  I also have 2 Seagate 3TB NAS drives in it, a couple years newer and 1 shows 1 error.    I have reasons, I believe, enough that I will never again get a Seagate NAS drive or any Seagate drive for that matter to trust my Data on.  But the WD Red's have been great. Isn't Crystal Disc more of a HDD speed testing software?

I wouldn't trust what that program says.  I would use WD own HDD testing software!!!  

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

See what that has to say about your WD HDD(s).   But when you put a HDD into the NAS, you want to make sure you wipe everything from it.  If it thinks there's Data on it, like you formatted it, it won't use that HDD!!!    Also remember, the NAS is using LINUX.   It's not running Windows.  It's not going to be using Windows NTFS.  In fact, the newerReadyNAS units use  a Linux file system called Btrfs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

If it's not like a brand new, untouched HDD, the NAS will ignore the HDD.  Mount the HDD in Windows.  Go into Disk Managment,  For Windows 10, right click on the windows icon on the bottom left of the screen, and click on Disc Managment.  Find the correct HDD.  For sure, it's NOT your C: drive!!  You're going to right click on the HDD you want and then Delete Volume.   Don't format it at after doing that!!!  Pull it from the computer and then put it in the NAS.  But check the HDD first using WD own software for their drives.   I don't know how this software works.  If it needs to be Windows formatted for it to see it?  If so, ok, but then Delete Volume after if it passes.   They do have a 3 to 5-year warranty.    The normal WD RED's are 3 years, the Pro versions are 5 years.  They are going to expect you to use their software to know if it's actually bad or not.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements