× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Really disappointed with ReadyNAS

christi1
Aspirant

Really disappointed with ReadyNAS

I've now owned my NV+ v2 for 9 months, or so, and I have to say that the recent announcement that you are sidelining all current models in favour of a new OS is pretty much the last nail in the coffin for me in respect of this product. Here's what I've had to put up with in 9 months of owning this device.

1) Bizarre hardware compatibility restrictions. A disk is a disk is a disk. No motherboard or PC manufacturer has ever refused me support on the basis I had the wrong disk in my machine. One of the reasons I went with Netgear was because my existing Spinpoint F1s were on the hardware compatibility list. It turned out they were on the NV+ list, not the NV+ v2 list, and so I've been unable to expand my groaning volume onto another disk or get support.

2) Flaky hardware support - the NV+ v2 refuses to talk to a WD MyBook USB3 hard drive I was going to use to remove the data prior to wiping and doing a clean install to get access to the extra capacity that I couldn't get my expanding my volume after Netgear refused support due to the disk not being on the HCL. I haven't therefore been able to copy the data somewhere safe.

3) Disappointing bugs in the software. ReadyDrop simply doesn't work for me. I've had an open support ticket for months. Occasionally they send me a new release of the software or firmware which still doesn't work. I wonder whether the team is actually even looking at my specific problem given that they still haven't even fixed the "ReadyDrop is no available" typo I pointed out to them months ago.

4) Sidelining of the entire historic product line. A really major factor in my decision to buy ReadyNAS was the ongoing support offered for devices. It is now clear that Netgear's focus will be on the new ReadyNAS line, and the best we can hope for is bug fixes, which my experience suggests won't be terribly forthcoming either. My nine month old NAS is now obsolete.

I've been using computers for too long to be really angry about this. It just seems to be the way that the industry works. Perhaps with the new ground up rewrite of Raidiator, Readynas will be a better experience for new customers. Personally, I'm left with a half functional NAS and a strong disinclination to buy Netgear in future, which is a shame. On paper they are excellent products.
Message 1 of 8
ihartley
Tutor

Agreed. I don't care for a new OS, but the current one working would be nice. The fact that they have effectively EOL'ed the product set means that there is no incentive for anyone to make add-ons. But really they need to acknowledge bugs and fix them. Even for a consumer/prosumer, people buy a NAS RAID box for high-availability and fault-tolerance. These goals are not being met by my NV+ v2
Message 2 of 8
wli
Tutor
Tutor

Just bought a NV+ v2, maybe I should return it and wait for the new models ?! The new OS is only on new models.

I don't care about any fancy addons, just a plain NAS serving storage stable.
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

wli wrote:
Just bought a NV+ v2, maybe I should return it and wait for the new models ?!

If your reseller accepts returns then that is something worth considering.
Message 4 of 8
peet1
Guide

@wili I'd definitely return it. I'd also take a bit of time to make sure that Synology isn't a better fit, but that's beside the point. I'm stuck with two ReadyNAS Pro 6's. Unopened and currently unreturnable.
Message 5 of 8
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am gutted by the announcement for one reason: the NV+ v2 is far from complete to the spec I anticipated. I purchased about50 days ago, fully expecting the NV+ v2 line to have the feature set completed over time, since it was the new hardware released only 18 months ago. This is NAS, not gadget consumer hardware!

Backup options for one are quite incomplete. I feel very let down by this news. It would be great to hear the 5.3.7 OS will have feature development after all, let's hope!
Message 6 of 8
ihartley
Tutor

Can I ask which missing bits you would like most?? I am also missing bits, but have no realistic expectation they will ever be implemented 😞
Message 7 of 8
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The main thing I care for is completing the backupprotocols, particularly between two ReadyNas units. As I said, I only just got the NV+ v2 and wanted to sync it with an existing Duo v1.

I'll only want basic NAS stuff in reality, despite wild ideas of media serving etc. But I would like it to continue to have a realistic life for a good while yet.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements