× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement disk not recognised Readynas nv+ RND4000

grintstick
Aspirant

Replacement disk not recognised Readynas nv+ RND4000

I had 2 x 2TB drives in my nv+.  One of the drives failed so I replaced it with a new drive.  (Made sure its on compatibility list.)  It's supposed to be hot swappable, but:

- When I place the new drive in the bay.  The sync does not begin.  It's not recognised in either Raidar or Frontview.  In fact, it causes frontview to become completely unresponsive.  The only way of getting frontview to work again is to rebool the nv+ with just the single working drive in it.  

- I've tried powering down too and putting the drive in when powered down. But the nv+ just hangs on 'Booting...' forever (like 15hrs). 

- I've also tested the drive on a windows machine and it works fine.

Could the nv+ itself be faulty or does anyone know anything else I can try?   

thanks...

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacement disk not recognised Readynas nv+ RND4000

What drive model are you using?

Message 2 of 9
grintstick
Aspirant

I'm using a Seagate Barracuda 

Code:

ST2000DM006 Barracuda

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ICLGJF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks...

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Can you try testing it again with seatools in a PC?  There's a destructive "write zeros" test that might be more useful than the normal long SMART test.

Message 4 of 9
grintstick
Aspirant

Yeah I can try that.  

If that comes out ok, do you reckon my NAS is just old and needs replacing?  Can't think what else it could be...

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@grintstick wrote:

do you reckon my NAS is just old and needs replacing?

Your NAS is old, and you should be planning a replacement.  Current models are much faster, have more features, and will be fully up to date on security patches.  

You can then (assuming we get past this problem) repurpose your NV+ as a backup to the new NAS.

FWIW, my own NV+ is still working, and I do use it to back up some shares on my RN526x.

@grintstick wrote:

Can't think what else it could be...

The drive is still the most likely. 

What firmware are you running?  One option is to upgrade the firmware to 4.1.16 (if it's not already), offload the data to backup, and try doing a factory reset. But if the drive isn't playing nicely with the NAS, that won't help.

You could also exchange the DM for an WD20EFRX (Western Digital "Red") or an ST2000VN004 (Seagate "Ironwolf").  Both are better choices for your NAS, although they aren't on the HCL.  

Note: Netgear hasn't touched that HCL for some years, so it is not the best guide anymore.  NAS-purposed drives (the two model lines listed above) are the best option if you are looking for consumer-grade drives.  They are designed for NAS use, and have features like TLER and vibration management which normal desktop drives don't have.

Message 6 of 9
grintstick
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies - 

I gave the drive to my engineering dept at work who are pretty good and they said the drive was fine - although I could of course do the extended check as suggested. 

I'm tempted though just to return this one back to Amazon and get a WD20EFRX (Western Digital "Red") or an ST2000VN004 (Seagate "Ironwolf"), as suggested - just to shortcut that process. 

I have already upgraded firmware to 4.1.16 with no solve.   I guess if the above doesn't work, they'll I'll offload the whole lot and try a factory reset, or just get a new NAS or Thunderbolt Raid.   I have found the nv+ pretty slow - I'm temped if I get a new one to get a thunderbolt raid so I can use that for editing photos in Lightroom more successfully and hopefully also use it as a media server for streaming movies and so on.  Unless you would recommend a straight NAS over that?   

Thanks again...

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I've never used a Thunderbolt Raid setup.  A NAS of course is multi-user and can be accessed if the PC is off. It also lets you consolidate storage if you have multiple PCs.  If none of those matter, then the Thunderbolt might be fine.

@grintstick wrote:

I have found the nv+ pretty slow

It is much slower than any of the OS6 NAS.  A RN42x or above can keep up with a gigabit network (100 MB/s or a bit more).  Your NV+ likely gets 20-25 MB/s.

There's a reason it's end-of-life...

Message 8 of 9
grintstick
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice - I just bought a WD20EFRX (Western Digital "Red") to see if it was the Seagate Barracuda drive that was faulty / incompatible and am still getting the same problems as first listed.  i.e. drive not showing up at all and no synching. 

So, I guess I'm left with 1 option - offload the data, try a factory reset.  If that fails, ditch this NAS a get something new.  Unless any other suggestions for anything worth trying.

Thanks for the advice. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements