× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replicating a NAS to a second NAS

dmahon1
Aspirant

Replicating a NAS to a second NAS

One more question prior to purchasing something to replace a failed ReadyNAS NVX:

If I purchase two new NAS (214 or 424), is it easy to replicate one exactly onto the other, perhaps with rsync, such that if one fails I can quickly bring the second into use (either by simply switching the drives, or by telling users to change their network mappings on windows PCs to point to the backup)?

This is based on a very small (<5) number of users, who do not change. Neither do the (small number of) shares, just the data.

Message 1 of 4
jak0lantash
Mentor

If your main goal is DR (Disaster Recovery), you can use rsync backup jobs (one per share) to mirror the data from the source NAS to the destination NAS. But that implies doing it upon schedule, not continuously during the day.

If your budget allows two RN424, you can also use ReadyDR: https://kb.netgear.com/31224/ReadyDR-FAQ

If your main goal is HA (High Availability), then you may need to look for another solution. Afaik, ReadyNAS doesn't support HA, not natively anyway. I know Synology does, some others may.

You could post an "idea" in the relevant section to ask for HA on ReadyNAS, but that doesn't mean it would ever be added.

You could also look at a third party solution for HA.

Message 2 of 4
dmahon1
Aspirant

I'm not sure I entirely understand ReadyDR.

The main solution is disaster recovery for a friend's kit who is

a) Technically illiterate

b) The other side of the country

For simplicity I would like a clone of the first NAS that could just take over, however I would certainly accept a clone  where I could either

1) get him to power off both NAS and swap the disks over, then carry on with the original disks in the backup NAS (and some spare backup disks) or

2) talk him through the steps required to change his network drive mappings on a couple of windows computers to point to the backup NAS

The actual speed of failover is not important.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@dmahon1 wrote:

1) get him to power off both NAS and swap the disks over, then carry on with the original disks in the backup NAS (and some spare backup disks) or

2) talk him through the steps required to change his network drive mappings on a couple of windows computers to point to the backup NAS

Those goals rule out ReadyDR - it requires that you restore the share from the ReadyDR repository.

rsync over ssh will do what you want - there is a guide here that can help you set it up:  https://kb.netgear.com/29771/How-do-I-back-up-data-between-a-remote-server-and-a-ReadyNAS-OS-6-syste...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements