× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Require more capacity

networkn
Aspirant

Require more capacity

Hi There!

I have a Ultra 2+ with 2 x 2TB Drives which are on the HCL. I don't see any 4TB Drives on the HCL for that device and we really need around 4TB Storage.

My options are to find out if there are any working 4TB drives that work with this, or switch to a 4 bay solution.
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Require more capacity

Some users have found 4TB disks to work but YMMV. If you have issues and you are using drives outside the compatibility list NetGear can and will deny support
Message 2 of 11
TeknoJnky
Hero

mdgm wrote:
If you have issues and you are using drives outside the compatibility list NetGear can and will deny support

I think you should stop stating this as fact and let the official support team determine what they will or will not support.
Message 3 of 11
networkn
Aspirant

Hi There!

I decided I couldn't really justify the extra cost for 2 x 4TB and especially since it's not supported officially yet and I've had issues in the past, would someone mind answering two additional questions:

I have 2 x ST32000542AS right now.

Options in my price range for 3TB Drives are the WD Red 3TB and the ST3000DM001 Seagate which would be better/faster?

Next question, can I just replace 1 of these drives at a time and wait for the rebuild to occur and then replace the other, and will this effectively "expand" the array to be 3TB?
Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Personally I would avoid the Seagate. Search the forums here for "ST3000DM001" and read through the posts.

When replacing drives with XRAID2/single redundancy you have to replace one at a time, and wait for full resync before replacing the next. I do this with the NAS running. It should expand to 3 TB after the second drive resyncs.

It's always a good idea to update your backup before replacing/adding drives.
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

TeknoJnky wrote:
mdgm wrote:
If you have issues and you are using drives outside the compatibility list NetGear can and will deny support

I think you should stop stating this as fact and let the official support team determine what they will or will not support.

I'm just quoting what NetGear says here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641

Users should bear in mind what impact their choice of drive may have on their ability to get support.
Message 6 of 11
networkn
Aspirant

Hi There!

I have been offered the following to upgrade my current nas (Ultra 2 Plus) from a 2 bay to a 4 bay..

NV+ v2 4 Bay Unit
Ultra 4 Plus

There is a $250 difference in price. If I went with the NV+ V2 would I notice much/any performance decrease or features that I am likely to miss for home use?
Message 7 of 11
Etz
Aspirant
Aspirant

It really depends what features you are actually using, but there will be also performance difference... :wink:
Message 8 of 11
networkn
Aspirant

Etz wrote:
It really depends what features you are actually using, but there will be also performance difference... :wink:

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by also performance? Is there some sort of benchmark I could refer to?

Basically I use a nas as a device to storage backups onto and then we copy from the nas to usb and take offsite. I want file copies to be pretty reasonably quick.
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

The ultra 4 plus is fully compatible with your ultra 2, so you can migrate the disks over.

The NV+ v2 is a completely different platform, with a newer management interface. It is a bit slower than your current NAS, and the feature set is somewhat different. There is a comparison chart here: http://www.netgear.com/images/ReadyNAS_ ... -57079.pdf

CNET measured the ultra (not the ultra plus) at 875 mbits/sec read and 444 mbits/sec write (http://www.cnet.com/network-storage/net ... 013-2.html)

They also measured the nv+ v2 at 658 mbits/sec read and 304 mbits/sec write (http://www.cnet.com/network-storage/net ... 084-2.html) Note that I changed the units in this review from megabytes to megabits.

So that would say that the NV+ V2 is 2/3 to 3/4 of the performance of the ultra. And of course the ultra plus is somewhat faster than the ultra.
Message 10 of 11
networkn
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB that helped put things into perspective.

I replaced my 2 x 2TB in the unit last night one at a time. The first resynced at 80-85MB/s the second time at 130-144MB/s total time across both drives about 8 hours which seemed a LONG time.

Then it wanted to reboot to expand the array which it did, then it wanted to re-Sync AGAIN which is said to take another 5 hours!

Anyways, at least it didn't refuse to boot like my old RND2000 did twice after array expansions which required netgear to login to fix. 🙂

I've decided I'd install 2 x 3TB which should buy me another year and then decide how I feel about moving to a 4 Bay solution at a later date, I definitely don't want anything significantly slower than what I have already.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements