× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reset readynas pro

kliest
Aspirant

Reset readynas pro

Hello,

I received a old Readynas PRo 6 from a friend. It starts right up and 'readynas' appears on the screen.

I cannot get this to go to boot mode. I have held in the little reset button on the back for up to two minutes after restarting. I tried using the front power button and the back power button.

I just think I need to reset the IP, my laptop doesnt see the unit as connected

Any ideas how I can get this reset or to the boot menu?

Thanks

kliest

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
kliest
Aspirant

Re: Reset readynas pro

my friend says you are supposed to be able to reset the IP just by starting the unit with no disks installed. This did not work. Is there some trick to this method?

Thanks

Kliest

Message 2 of 4
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kliest,

If the boot menu is not accessible with or without the hard drives inserted then there is a possibility we are looking at hardware fault on the NAS.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Your friend mis-informed you.  The NAS boots from the disks except when the disks are unformatted, in which case it boots from Flash memory for the sole purpose of creating a disk volume and installing the OS to it.  It should come up and say "No Disks" when booted without any, though.  With one or more dirty (previously used in another OS) drives, it may hang.

Put at least one drive in it that has no partitoning information at all and boot from that.  Use Windows Disk Management or an appropriate tool from another OS to remove partition information from a previously used drive.

Once you have confirmed it works, you may want to look at the threads regarding putting OS 6.x on your ReadyNAS Pro.  Doing so requires a complete reset, so doing it before you start putting data on the NAS is a good time for it.

If it still doesn't work, come back and we will try to help you.  A power supply problem is a common issue with the older NASes, but it could be something more or less complicated.  You can decide how much time and money you want to put into this gift horse.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements