× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SpiderOak for OS6

Jophus
Luminary

SpiderOak for OS6

Hello All!
I would love to see a SpiderOak addon be made available for the ReadyNAS. I spent considerable time assessing cloud back-up options and I landed on SpiderOak over Crashplan and Dropbox, namely:
    Dropbox is not encrypted and they will hand over data if lawfully requested in the US
    Crashplan uses Java and reading the config for it, seemed daunting
    SpiderOak has locally unecrypted, but cloud encrypted data. Lose your password = lose your data!

Anyway, as a power user and not really experienced in Linux (last I used it was 1999 or so - ahhh RedHat) I spent most of yesterday trawling through the 'net to install it. I have been successful but it could be so much easier.

SSH in
install .deb file
(installed as 'root' which is far from ideal - will need to change that in future)
Setup machine from command line
Install xorg to pass-through x11 via Putty SSH to Xming on windows desktop
run SpiderOak and hope it fires up a window on the desktop
Configure it
shut it down via SSH
create systemd scripts to install it as a service on boot

If the configuration needs changing, root in, stop the service via systemctl and then run SpiderOak again via ssh x11 passthrough.

Anyway, it works, and is happily uploading 500+gb up to the cloud.

It would be fantastic if there was an addon which allowed for the configuration and monitoring of application via a web interface (like utorrent, or Dropboxmanager etc.)

Here's hoping
Message 1 of 2
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SpiderOak for OS6

Hi Jophus,

You may post suggestions and ideas at Idea Exchange board

Adding kudos to the ideas will help as development team will be reviewing the most kudos for considering it to add to the product's future functionality.

Regards,

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements