× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Supported Drive wont physically fit inside my readynas204???

brendan87
Aspirant

Supported Drive wont physically fit inside my readynas204???

I paid a little more to get the 'Seagate ST6000NM0024 6TB SATA drive' because it was on the compatible drive list (link at bottom)

and it wont physically fit inside my readynas 204 (RN204).

The hot swappable feature has two pins on each side to poke into the hard drives screw holes in the middle and the end of the sides of the hard drive.

The hard drive 'ST6000NM0024' doen not have this screw hole in the middle and so it wont fit in. 

Why would they put this drive on the compatibility list if it wont even fit into the nas?

What should I do now? Sell it?

'http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641/~/readynas-hard-disk-compatibility-list'

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The WD60EFRX does not have this problem.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

can u use 3 screws to secure the hard drive with the tray via the bottom of the drive?

the tray has plastic glides which you need to pull out after releasing the hatch.  best if you read hardware manual first.

cannot see how hot swap needs screws on  the sides

Message 2 of 12
StephenB
Guru

OP is saying that the disk has no mounting holes on the side, so the plastic "nubs" on the side of the mounting bracket are preventing him from inserting it.

If the screw holes on the bottom of the tray are aligned with the disk properly, you can try removing the mounting bracket (as you would for a 2.5" drive).  The only other option is to trim off the plastic nubs.

Previous posts here from Netgear suggested that they wouldn't certify disks that didn't have the proper mounting holes.  So it is a bit odd that they added this drive.

Message 3 of 12
cpu8088
Virtuoso

the black plastic rail guide can be taken out. 

just secure the hard drive with screws at the bottom

Message 4 of 12
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, you can take the plastic panel out of the ReadyNAS disk tray and the drive should fit. 

Message 5 of 12
brendan87
Aspirant

Yes but still defeats the purpose of it being hot swappable. Just would have thought a note would be added to that compatibility list, that you lose the ability of the drive being hot swappable. Anyways thanks guys
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@brendan87 wrote:
Yes but still defeats the purpose of it being hot swappable.... 

No.  It remains hot-swappable, it is just not tool-less.  You still don't need to shut down the NAS when replacing or adding a drive.

...Just would have thought a note would be added to that compatibility list ...

I agree there should be a note (and a revision made to the next hardware manual).  But all it needs to say is that you need to remove the plastic mounting bracket and attach the disk to the tray with screws.

Message 7 of 12
brendan87
Aspirant

You are right. I guess just don't like having to undo screws. So. .. I ah got out my drill and made two holes in each side of the drive. It's tool-less now, seems to work just fine. Goodbye warrantie
Message 8 of 12
brendan87
Aspirant

Does anybody know of a 6tb drive that won't have the same problem that's on the compatibility list. I buy the drives online and they all have the same picture so I can't tell which ones will fit in tool-less
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

The WD60EFRX does not have this problem.

Message 10 of 12
brendan87
Aspirant

Thanks man, buying it now
Message 11 of 12
RNASguy
Luminary

I just installed 6 Western Digital Red Pro 6TB drives model # WD6001FFWX.  They work just fine with the tool-less plastic part on the drive sled.

However, even though it works tool-less I always put in one screw to be sure it won't slip out.  When releasing the sled from the NAS, if you hold down the Recessed disk tray handle locking mechanism as you pull out the sled, the drive will be released from the sled and possibly fall.  This happened to me when the tool-less sled was a new item.

Ever after I went the belt and suspenders route and put in one screw.

hope this helps

bc

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements