× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to browse my RN314 NAS in W10 file explorer

HenrikBM
Aspirant

Unable to browse my RN314 NAS in W10 file explorer

I just set up my ReadyNAS 314 in a new apartment. In my previous apartment I was running an ethernet cable between my computer and my NAS, but here I don't have that luxury, so I'm trying to set up wifi access. I've hooked up my NAS to my router (Netgear nighthawk X6) and reinstalled the OS, as well as updated to the latest firmware (6.9.2). I am able to find the NAS with RAIDar, and I'm able to go the admin page and browse around, and everything looks fine there, but I'm not able to browse the NAS in my WIndows 10 file manager, as I used to be when running over cable... When I press 'browse' in RAIDar it opens up the file manager but not the NAS. If I open up the Windows network I see my computer and the NAS, but when I try to open the NAS I get "WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS (nasname)". If I try to map a new network drive I get the same error. Based on a previous topic here I tried enabling SMB 1.0 - it made no difference though, so I turned it back off. All ideas are welcome.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to browse my RN314 NAS in W10 file explorer

OS6 supports SMB 3.0 - so SMB 1.0 isn't needed on your client PCs.  Do confirm that the NAS and PCs are in the same workgroup, and that the wifi connection is classified as private by the PC.

Try this experiment...

Run CMD and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin password.  If you use flexraid, change "data" to the actual data volume name of your NAS.  Be careful to use the correct slash directions and with the placement of the spaces.

The first command ends any open SMB sessions in the PC.  If it prompts, let it proceed. The second command attempts to mount the NAS data volume as drive letter T.

If these commands work, then the solution is to make sure that the PCs are using valid NAS credentials.  There are two ways to do this - one is to enter the credentials of a NAS user account into the Windows Credential Manager.  The other is to create a NAS user account that matches the username/password of each PC logon.  I prefer the first way myself.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

OS6 supports SMB 3.0 - so SMB 1.0 isn't needed on your client PCs.  Do confirm that the NAS and PCs are in the same workgroup, and that the wifi connection is classified as private by the PC.

Try this experiment...

Run CMD and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin password.  If you use flexraid, change "data" to the actual data volume name of your NAS.  Be careful to use the correct slash directions and with the placement of the spaces.

The first command ends any open SMB sessions in the PC.  If it prompts, let it proceed. The second command attempts to mount the NAS data volume as drive letter T.

If these commands work, then the solution is to make sure that the PCs are using valid NAS credentials.  There are two ways to do this - one is to enter the credentials of a NAS user account into the Windows Credential Manager.  The other is to create a NAS user account that matches the username/password of each PC logon.  I prefer the first way myself.

Message 2 of 3
HenrikBM
Aspirant

Thanks! For some reason when I first did that it refused my password, so I logged back into the admin page and changed it to something else, and it worked.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements