× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Understanding ReadyNAS OS

Martint92
Aspirant

Understanding ReadyNAS OS

I've been looking around on the site and forums for awhile and unable to find the answer to my questions.

For context, I work for a small firm that is trying to go digital for all their files. One of the partners has trouble adapting to new technology. Therefore I need to create a NAS and cloud that looks to her just like another folder on her harddrive. I want it to look to just be a networked folder that she can access from anywhere. Does ReadyNAS OS allow this, or do you have to use some portal or application to access the files when not on the same LAN as the drive? 

Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Understanding ReadyNAS OS

You can use the ReadyCLOUD app or readycloud.netgear.com

There are also 3rd party apps you could use alternatively e.g. OwnCloud.

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I believe that adding ZeroTier to the NAS and PC will provide the most transparent solution.  Search the forum for NASTools' app version for the ReayNAS.  ZeroTier provides a VPN which runs in parallel with the standard network connection, not instead of it.  Once installed, you can map a drive using the NAS's ZeroTier IP address and it will work seamlessly locally or remotely and without affecting other local network resources.

Message 3 of 10
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The ReadyNAS units are excellent, especially for local network storage and data management, sharing, etc. Very easy to get going, manage access rights and backup data. For Windows users, you can easily 'map' NAS folders so they see them as just more folders, no faffing around.

For access outside your network, you need to consider how the remote machine will find your NAS inside your network (typically involves a static IP address, and redirect service and/or VPN type connection), and of course consider the management and security implications. I saw the other responses, they probably know best for external access and you should investigate those options. You might also consider cloud storage in a wider context beyond having a local NAS, particularly if you are using Microsoft Office, you might consider their solution specifically for 'working/remote access' data, or an integration with DropBox and the like as alternatives, keeping the bulk of data locally on the NAS for within network access only. I must admit, I have not enable dmy NAS units to be remote accessible in general yet, just dabbled from time to time.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I use openVPN myself for remote access (it is built into my Orbi router).  You can use ZeroTier in a similar way - both methods allow the remote PC to access the NAS as if it were on the local network.

ReadyCloud doesn't quite do that, especially if you use the NAS "home" folder for local accounts.  The remote ReadyCloud account isn't the same as the local use account, and they can't be linked.  So I think ZeroTier/OpenVPN are better matched to what you have in mind.

@aks wrote:

For access outside your network, you need to consider how the remote machine will find your NAS inside your network (typically involves a static IP address)

That actually isn't the case.  With OpenVPN you access the home network with DDNS account (such as noip.com or dyn).  Noip offers a free service, which is convenient.  You assign your router URL (perhaps martint92.ddns.net), and then you connect to the router using that name.  

I believe ZeroTier handles this differently (without the need for a DDNS account).  ReadyCloud also doesn't need DDNS.

@aks wrote:

...consider the management and security implications.

This is of course an important consideration.  You want to ensure that an encrypted connection is used, and you want to make sure there is some form of authentication.  ZeroTier and OpenVPN use certificates for this.  Some solutions (ReadyCloud for instance) use password controls - if your solution needs a password, make sure it is a strong one.

You can get some information on your password strength here: http://rumkin.com/tools/password/passchk.php  It's probably best not to enter your real password, just something similar to what you are considering.

Message 5 of 10
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ah true, dynamic IP with DNS lookup service or static IP - I have used both. I found the static IP worked seamlessly, but dynamic lookup sometimes failed (I used a free provider), so for a business would a free DDNS work ok or would paid be best, or even a static IP which is also virtually free and guaranteed to work (my ISP charges £5 one off setup fee)?

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@aks wrote:

even a static IP which is also virtually free...

My ISP (Verizon Fios) charges $20/month to get a static IP address.  The basic business account (75 mbit service) is $85/month with a dynamic IP address and $105/month for a static IP address.

This is also limited to business accounts, they don't offer static IP addresses at any price to a residential customer.

Message 7 of 10
Martint92
Aspirant

It looks like I can create a Static IP from the routerlogin.net interface. This may just be my ignorance,  but will that not suffice? Or do I need to purchase an IP  from a provider to direct an outside connection to the network? 

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Martint92 wrote:

It looks like I can create a Static IP from the routerlogin.net interface. 

Not really.  @aks was talking about a static internet address for your router - that needs to be assigned by your ISP.  The router can reserve addresses on the local lan, but that's something quite different.  It is useful for port-forwarding, and in general I do think reserving an address for your NAS in your router is a good thing to do.

Message 9 of 10
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In UK we seem to be getting a good deal (telephone line rental, unlimited 80Mbps broadband, any time/any number phone calls included for under £50 - I'm actually paying about £40/month right now)!

It would seem, in the US at least, dynamic DNS is the way to go.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements