× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade NV+ v1 or buy v2

wgotten
Aspirant

Upgrade NV+ v1 or buy v2

Greetings all,

I have a NV+ v1 (originally with 4 x 1TB drives) that is still working fine. Have replaced 1 of the 1TB drives with a 2TB drive, and am starting to approach capacity. Running Apple equipment with 802.11n and gigabit ethernet via airport extreme(s). Primary files on the NV+ are common multimedia for Aperture and iTunes. As I try to increase my capacity, should I just upgrade the other 3 drives with 2TB (whose capacity once all the drives are the same should last me a number of years), or buy another NAS (such as the v2)? Is there any particular benefit aside from capacity, knowing that I don't do any advanced work with the device? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrade NV+ v1 or buy v2

If the device does all you need and you expect it to for the foreseeable future replace the remaining drives. Before you replace the remaining drives you should check that your volume has the 16k block size and that you have 4k sector partition alignment: http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/06/22/why-you-might-want-to-factory-reset-a-sparc-readynas/

However if you want to buy a new NAS you should note that some new products running ReadyNAS OS 6 have been announced recently. This new OS is not available for older devices such as the NV+ v2.
Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrade NV+ v1 or buy v2

I agree that if your current is all you need, you might as well stick with it for a while longer. If you do upgrade, consider using your v1 for backup.

As far as upgrades go, personally I would pass on a v2. It has some features you don't have now, but also takes some features away.

If you are ok with your current functionality, and want the lowest cost, than an x86 Pro or Ultra could be a good deal. They are being phased out, so resellers are starting to clear inventory.

Or get something in the RN1xx/3xx/5xx family.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements