× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade Network switch for the ReadyNas RN104

pet2tso
Aspirant

Upgrade Network switch for the ReadyNas RN104

I have a ReadyNas RN104 with 4 HD.  It is attached to a Linksys Network Switch (100mpbs), using IP address 192.168.1.3, and the IP addr never changed for the last 2 years.

I would like to upgrade the Network Switch to a Netgear GS205 1000mbps switch.  I am afraid that when I do that, the IP address may change for the ReadyNas.  I have a few questions:

1.    Would the IP address change?

2.    If IP changes, would this render my ReadyNas incapable of connecting to my Windows PC?

3.    Would this affect ReadyCloud users?

Thanks you for anwering my question, as always!!

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
pet2tso
Aspirant

Re: Upgrade Network switch for the ReadyNas RN104

Update: I bought a Netgear 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch - Model GS205 for $19.57.

It works like a charm the first time.  I left my Netgear NAS RN104 on while making the switch over.  No issue what so ever.  Network connection is much faster now.

Thank you again to StephenB and JennyC for their timely advice !!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@pet2tso wrote:

I have a ReadyNas RN104 with 4 HD.  It is attached to a Linksys Network Switch (100mpbs), using IP address 192.168.1.3, and the IP addr never changed for the last 2 years.

I would like to upgrade the Network Switch to a Netgear GS205 1000mbps switch.  I am afraid that when I do that, the IP address may change for the ReadyNas.  I have a few questions:

1.    Would the IP address change?

2.    If IP changes, would this render my ReadyNas incapable of connecting to my Windows PC?

3.    Would this affect ReadyCloud users?

Thanks you for anwering my question, as always!!

I think you might be confusing a switch with a router.  Switches don't assign IP addresses (and normal unmanaged switches don't look at them).  So putting in a new switch won't affect the IP addresses.

If you have a linksys router, then put the new switch between the router and all your wired devices.  If you have a linksys switch, then just replace it. Either way, there is no reason to turn the existing devices off.

Message 2 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pet2tso,

Routers broadcast IP addresses to LAN devices which makes it the DHCP server of the network while the switch's purpose is to add more ports to an existing router. If you replace the router, that is the time you worry about IP addresses as not all routers have the same IP subnet, some use 192.168.0.x, others use 192.168.1.0 and some are 10.x.x.x.

Regards,

Message 3 of 7
pet2tso
Aspirant

Thank you both stephenB and JennC. Both of your answers reaffirmed each other. I have an ATT 2wire router/modem. This is a uVerse black fiber connection. What you have reaffirmed is that I am safe to swap out the network switch sitting between the 2wire router and the ReadyNas RN104. I have a Netgear 1gbps switch ordered. I feel comfortable to upgrade now. I will keep this forum updated. Thank you both again!!
Message 4 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pet2tso,

We greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know that the information we provided has helped answering your question.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
pet2tso
Aspirant

Update: I bought a Netgear 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch - Model GS205 for $19.57.

It works like a charm the first time.  I left my Netgear NAS RN104 on while making the switch over.  No issue what so ever.  Network connection is much faster now.

Thank you again to StephenB and JennyC for their timely advice !!

Message 6 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pet2tso,

You are most welcome. Please feel free to post any suggestions, comments or questions you have about your product.

We appreciate your contribution to the community!

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements