× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade Question

vukodlak
Tutor

Upgrade Question

I have a ReadyNAS NVX. I replaced the PSU twice all ready. I am looking into upgrading to a newer unit. I use the NAS to backup our family's computers and to stream hd movies from. Would the  ReadyNAS 214 be a good upgrade? Is the  ReadyNAS 214 reaching it's end?

Thanks.

Model: RNDX4000|READYNAS NVX DISKLESS DESKTOP NETWORK STORAGE|EOL
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In that case the RN214 would be a good choice. You could get new disks for it and use backup jobs to copy your data across to the new NAS.

Some video may not be in the right format or need subtitles burned in and need to be transcoded on the fly. You should consider whether or not you need that.

If you want transcoding (convert media on the fly so that it can be streamed to a client device) it can transcode some 1080p down to a fixed resolution of 480p.

We have newer models than the RN214 i.e. the RN422, RN424, RN524X, RN526X, RN626X, RN528X and RN628X.

If you want a newer model you may wish to consider those as well. The 520 series and 620 series have very, very powerful CPUs and are a good choice for those that want to be able to transcode 1080p to higher quality than 480p.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the NVX working fine at the moment?

Do you have a backup?

Message 2 of 10
vukodlak
Tutor

Yes, the NVX is working and yes, I do have a current backup of it. I backup every week.

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In that case the RN214 would be a good choice. You could get new disks for it and use backup jobs to copy your data across to the new NAS.

Some video may not be in the right format or need subtitles burned in and need to be transcoded on the fly. You should consider whether or not you need that.

If you want transcoding (convert media on the fly so that it can be streamed to a client device) it can transcode some 1080p down to a fixed resolution of 480p.

We have newer models than the RN214 i.e. the RN422, RN424, RN524X, RN526X, RN626X, RN528X and RN628X.

If you want a newer model you may wish to consider those as well. The 520 series and 620 series have very, very powerful CPUs and are a good choice for those that want to be able to transcode 1080p to higher quality than 480p.

Message 4 of 10
vukodlak
Tutor

Thanks for that info, it is helpful. I will look into the 520/620 series and make a purchase by the weekend. 

Message 5 of 10
vukodlak
Tutor

OK, I just went with the RN214, it is at my price point.

I was at the harware compatabilty section to find out what drives to get with it.

I noticed that the RN214 says "up to 32TB". I'm assuming that is 4x8TB disks at a specific RAID setting.

In the  harware compatabilty section it lists some 10TB drives. Would these give up to 40TB?

Or is this a firmware limit?

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Spec sheets are written with current information at a point in time.

If 10TB disks are on the list for e.g. the RN214 unless otherwise noted you could use 4x10TB disks in a 4-bay, yes. So you could have a 40TB volume before redundancy, overheads and considering the base used for measuring space . Using X-RAID the capacity of the largest disk would be used for redundancy so you'd have 30TB (base 10) which is approximately 27TiB (base 2) before overheads. We use the base 2 figure in the web admin interface. Macs on recent versions of OS X would use base 10 in the Finder.

For a new setup I would put one disk in, update the firmware, verify the update is successful, put the rest of the disks in and do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything). Following these steps would give you a clean setup on the new firmware.

Message 7 of 10
vukodlak
Tutor

Awesome, thanks.

This is all going to be an early birthday gift to myself!

Message 8 of 10
jchappo
Aspirant

Hello,

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ filled with 2tb disks. It makes a lot of noise and seems underpowered and inefficient for what I need nowadays. Can I buy a diskless 4 bay newer ReadyNAS and just drop in my current disks?

Thanks,
Jeff
Message 9 of 10
jak0lantash
Mentor

The data from the old NAS won't be readable by the new NAS as they are on completely different architecture (the new NAS won't be to read what's on the old HDDs). You'll have to perform a full backup, double check integrity of the backup, wipe the disks by performing a Factory Default on the new NAS with the old HDDs for a fresh install.
That said, if your HDDs are old, that may not be the "best" solution. Instead, you could use your old NV+ as a backup that's powered on only during the night (doing the backups), and purchase new HDDs along with the new NAS.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements