× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Usable space for 516 + 2 Expansion arrays

dbreiny1
Aspirant

Usable space for 516 + 2 Expansion arrays

I am planning on buying a readynas 516 + 2x expansion arrays for a total of 16 drives. Up front I will have 7x 2tb + 9x 3tb drives and I am would like to know how much USABLE space I will end up with. Also, is the limitation of not allowing smaller drives still true? If so I will start with a few 2TB drives, then add the rest of the drives as I migrate them from the curent nv+'s and the pro 6 that I currently have in to the new 516 array.

Thanks in advance,

-David
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Usable space for 516 + 2 Expansion arrays

How many drives are you planning to put in each chassis?
Message 2 of 8
dbreiny1
Aspirant

If I handle it like I have in the past I will:
Start with 1x2TB drive in the array and upgrade the firmware, then add 3x3TB drives (so 1x2TB and 3x3TB - still need to be able to add 2TB drives later) and perform a factory reset.
As I migrate data from my old NV+ devices I will remove the 2TB drives from them and add them to the new 516 (don't think it matters in the expansion or main array).

When the process is complete I will have all 16 drives spinning - 7x2TB and 9x3TB drives (all in the 516 + 2 expansion arrays).

Thanks for the reply,
-David
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You'll end up with three volumes (on for each chassis). So the amount of space you end up with will depend on the allocation of the drives to chassis.

Assuming single redundancy, and 2 3TB drives per chassis, then the space across all three volumes would be 32TB (9 TB total used for redundancy).
Message 4 of 8
dbreiny1
Aspirant

I am confused as there is very little documentation on the EDA500 expansion arrays.

See the following post:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=70107

The EDA500 will just be an extension of the RN516 so together with it, they will be considered as a single VOLUME. You can have one share on the whole XRAID volume spanning all the disks of the RN516 and the EDA500. Disk 1 thru 6 of RN516 and the remaining disks of the EDA500 will be raided together and then they will volumed together into a giant pool using btrfs filesystem.

It would seem that with XRAID2 it would be presented as one huge volume spanned across all the devices in 516 as well as the EDA500 expansion arrays as well (honestly this is my desired configuration). I really wish there was more documentation on the EDA500 to make a more intelligent decision :?

Thanks,
-David
Message 5 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

I don't think it would be advisable to set up one giant volume across 2 or 3 devices, even if this were possible, which I think it isn't.
If one extension unit accidentally became disconnected the whole array would be compromised.
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

From my experience it will create separate volumes on each EDA500.
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Even with a 16-bay chassis, it would be unwise to create a RAID volume that spanned 16 drives. It's just asking for problems.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements