× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Use 'Known Issues' section of Release Notes! Please!

chirpa
Luminary

Use 'Known Issues' section of Release Notes! Please!

There used to be a Limitations/Known Issues part of the release notes, seems that is missing in some areas.

Lets take the 5.3.6 release as an example; http://www.readynas.com/?p=6538

There are many posts here covering 'known issues' in 5.3.6, that even Support is aware of, and telling people to downgrade. Why not add those known issues to the release notes, so at least some people will see it, and ponder their upgrade requirement first. Would save on headaches, complaints, and redundant forum posts here.

Is it just me, or is QA on recent builds not getting proper review? Less focus on ReadyDATA, more on the existing customer base please.
Message 1 of 10
sphardy1
Apprentice

chirpa wrote:

Is it just me, or is QA on recent builds not getting proper review?

Couldn't agree more - to the extent that my main usage of the forum now is to monitor the feedback of those eager (crazy?) enough to be an early upgrader so that I can determine if a new release warrants the risk/effort to deploy

That I'm now many releases behind the latest versions on all 3 NAS (sparc, x86 & ARM) kind of tells its own story
Message 2 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

I guess they don't want to save themselves money, cold hard cash. Noting these public known issues up front to people about to upgrade would save them the complaints on these forums, and the phone calls to tech support that do have a cost per call.
Message 3 of 10
dbott67
Guide

But some of us like to call the jedis at home and get personal support! 😉

1-900-call-chirpa
Message 4 of 10
Etz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wondering what else may be broken in later releases, if QA misses so obvious shortcomings... :?
Message 5 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

Bueller? Any comment from NTGR?
Message 6 of 10
bradmacoz
Aspirant

How about them (netgear) just doing some decent testing before they release it to the public... or are we their beta testers?
Message 7 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

Thats an odd area. In the past, they used to post a lot of beta releases. Now you see none.

5.3.7 is going to be released soon, and there was no public betas for it. I think that is a mistake. Same with 1.1.2 for ReadyDATA. How can you get decent feedback, if each public release is in essence a beta release (untested for wide spread use)?
Message 8 of 10
carpii
Tutor

Gets my vote too.

All software has bugs, I think everyone accepts that.
But there is nothing more annoying than upgrading and hitting a fairly serious bug, which is already known about but wasn't communicated.
Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Recently there have been some public betas. There are currently public betas for the legacy devices.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements