× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume: System volume root's usage is 81%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions.

MrRipply
Aspirant

Volume: System volume root's usage is 81%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions.

Hi Community,

Running a ReadyNAS104-01 with firmware 6.9.2. Since a couple of days I have started getting messages from the NAS stating:

Volume: System volume root's usage is 81%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

The usage over my volymes is: 3.09 TB free of 5.43 TB.

Need help to investigate this issue.

BR.

Mr.Ripply

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
MrRipply
Aspirant

Re: Volume: System volume root's usage is 81%. This condition should not occur under normal conditio

It turned out that the program on the NAS, MySQL was taking up the space. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Volume: System volume root's usage is 81%. This condition should not occur under normal conditio

The system root volume isn't the same as your data volume.  It's a 4 GB partition on the disks that holds the operating system and the ReadyNAS application software.  If it gets full, the NAS often locks up, and there can also problems with corrupted configuration files (when the NAS tries to re-write them, but that fails because the partition is full).  Paid support can fix it remotely, but it is best to deal with the problem before the NAS locks up.

If you are running the AntiVirus service, I recommend disabling it, as it has been misbehaving lately and could be causing your problem.

What apps are installed, and what services are running?

Also, do you have an up-to-date backup?

Message 2 of 10
MrRipply
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB,

We use the below services:

SMB, AFP, NFS, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SNMP, SSH

No apps installed.

"An up-to-date backup". Do you mean a backup off the NAS itself?

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@MrRipply wrote:

SMB, AFP, NFS, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SNMP, SSH

AntiVirus was not enabled then?

Try logging into the linux shell via ssh, and then check the current root usage.

# cd //

# df -h .

# df -i .

What firmware are you running?

@MrRipply wrote:

"An up-to-date backup". Do you mean a backup off the NAS itself?

Yes, the data volume of the NAS.  If the NAS is used for primary storage, it should be backed up (RAID is not enough to keep the data safe). 

Its a different story if the NAS is only used for backup - then it depends on your overall backup plan (how many backups you think you need, etc).

Message 4 of 10
MrRipply
Aspirant

Firmware: 6.9.2

df -h.jpeg

df -i.jpeg

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

So it remains 85% full, and that needs to be fixed.  Did you ever have any apps installed?  Or install any linux packages via ssh?

You'll need to browse through the various folders, and figure out where the space is going.  There are a couple of ways to do that, post back if you aren't familar with them.  I suggest looking in /var first.

Several folders are actually mount points for the data volume - /apps, /data, /home, and /var/ftp in particular.  You can see the full list by just entering mounts.  Ignore those folders for now.

Message 6 of 10
MrRipply
Aspirant

This NAS was original not configured and setup by me, so I dont have a clue about apps in the past. I was enabling SSH login for the root user to be able to connect, so there seems to have been no activity over ssh in the past.

I do not have a clue where I should start investigate the folders, i do not want to play around and destroy important data for the OS. Much appreciated if you have the knowledge to advice me where to find data to remove.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

You can see the install history by entering cat /var/log/apt/history.log

If you enabled ssh yourself, then the most likely cause is that the previous administrator installed an app from the web UI that put data on the OS partition.  Some badly written apps do that.

Since you do care about the data on the NAS, I again suggest making a backup of the data.  USB drives are the cheapest way.  That also gives you the option of doing a factory reset - rebuilding it from scratch, recreating the shares and restoring the data from backup.  If the NAS is old, there could be some performance improvement if you do this.

You can find where the space goes by

temporarily remounting the OS partition - this lets you examine the space usage without the mount points getting in the way.  Make sure you are using "root" as the username for ssh (NOT "admin") and then enter

# mount --bind / /mnt

Then 

cd /mnt

du -csh *

That will give you a list of the space usage in each folder.  One (or perhaps two) will look really large (gigabytes instead of megabytes).

Use CD to navigate into that oversized folder, and repeat the du -csh *  The process will eventually take you to the offending subfolder(s).  The du command will then show you the size of each file - usually there are just a couple that are oversized.

What you do then depends on what those files are.  If they are logs, they can be truncated.  If the problem is that the previous admin installed packages, then they need to be uninstalled.  If they are SQL databases, then usually there is a need to uninstall one or more packages, and then delete the databases.

BTW, when you are done with /mnt, you should undo the temporary mount by entering

cd //

umount /mnt

Note that if you are the original purchaser, you can also use paid support (my.netgear.com) to take care of this for you.  However, their policy is not to provide support for used equipment.

Message 8 of 10
MrRipply
Aspirant

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@MrRipply wrote:

Your predecessor must have installed it.

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements