× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume lost after failed drive replacement trying to recover data

LesZ
Aspirant

Volume lost after failed drive replacement trying to recover data

Firmware 6.7.5.  MY unit is set up in X-Raid.  All 6 drives are 4TB Wester Digital WD4000FYYZ including hte new replacement drive.

I have two issues.  

1.  Drive #6 failed.  I have replace it and formated it but it did not rebuild automatically.  How do I force this.

2.  Drive #3 is installed but does not show up.  It appears on the volume page as just a blank area, no drive indicated.  Ideas?

Model: RN51662E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Volume lost after failed drive replacement trying to recover data

@LesZ wrote: 

Drive #6 failed.  I have replace it and formated it but it did not rebuild automatically.  How do I force this.

Normally you should insert it unformatted. Did you format it via the web admin ui or somewhere else?

If somewhere else, try clicking on the drive and then clicking format.

@LesZ wrote:

2.  Drive #3 is installed but does not show up.  It appears on the volume page as just a blank area, no drive indicated.  Ideas?

Do you know if it is in the array?  You might download the log zip from the web ui

• check disk_info and see if it shows up.
  • check mdstat and see if all drives appear there.  Also see if you have any unused devices.

Do you recall what volume size you had before the failure?

Message 2 of 6
LesZ
Aspirant

I first installed the drive unformated and it did not rebuild.  I then formated from the admin UI still no joy.

=====

I have downloaded the logs and under disk_info I see channel 0, 1, 3, 4, 5.  Could this be a dead slot?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@LesZ wrote:

I first installed the drive unformated and it did not rebuild.  I then formated from the admin UI still no joy.

=====

I have downloaded the logs and under disk_info I see channel 0, 1, 3, 4, 5.  Could this be a dead slot?

It could be. It could also be a dead disk, so you might try powering down the NAS and seeing if the disk shows up in a PC. (It won't mount, but in Windows, the Windows Disk Manager will see it.  So will diagnostics like Seagate's seatools and WDC's lifeguard).

Is the NAS still under warranty?  That should be 5 years for the original purchaser.  Also if you purchased between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 you have free lifetime chat support at my.netgear.com.

Message 4 of 6
xiao123
NETGEAR Expert

@LesZ wrote:

=====

Hi LesZ

What mode of your nas? How did you unplug the disks, remove one at a time or two at a time ?

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 5 of 6
LesZ
Aspirant

Thanks for replying but it has been long enough that I reformated the drive from the ground up.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements