× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which new ReadyNAS

dmahon1
Aspirant

Which new ReadyNAS

I have a ReadyNAS NVX Business Edition [X-RAID2] with 4 x 512GB drives in X-RAID2 which has provided sterling service since 2009. I use it as a centralised file server and also backup to

1. A seperate disk on one PC, which is always on
  2. 2x USB disks (one of which I take offsite, in rotation, every month)
  3. ReadyNAS Vault (a small amount of the most important files only)

I keep addings photos, and my daughter will be getting a GoPro for Christmas so will start to add video, but as you can see, capacity is not really an issue. I am only at 56% of 1353GB used.

Very rarely I use a DLNA server to stream photos/music to one of the TVs in the house, or even a movie (that is encoded as an mp4 in SD resolution)

I would like:

1. Dropbox like access to my files when away from home - especially those on home shares (which ReadyNAS remote could not manage)
  2. Faster backup (a full USB backup is so slooooooooooow)
  3. The footprint to remain the same, or smaller (actually, the height is more important)
  4. It to be reasonably quiet

I was considering buying a new product and then using the old ReadyNAS as a backup, with replicate (I have a licence). I could locate the old product in a seperate building.

What product should I buy?

Message 1 of 3
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Which new ReadyNAS

Hi dmahon1,

You could check the RN214 and RN314 models. Both these products supports all the features that you need on a storage device.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Which new ReadyNAS

The RN314 purchased after June 1 2014 comes with lifetime chat support; the RN214 (like all Netgear "home" NAS) only has 90 days of installation support.

That might be something to factor into your decision.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements