× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wow now that is a nice interface

jeremyotten
Aspirant

Wow now that is a nice interface

Readynas is OK!

The only thing that lacks is a really cool and nowadays interface.

the new 3.0 interface of synology nases blows me away. I just like i am in windows.

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/demo/index.php

Can't you guys update your interface to nowadays standards?
Message 1 of 79
veehexx
Aspirant

i dont want to see that.

why? because i sometime admin my nas from my phone.i havent tried it, but i bet stuff like that takes an age to load on mobile devices - if at all!
Message 2 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

If that is the only argument NOT to have such a cool interface.........

How does the current interface load on your phone??
Message 3 of 79
steve_i
Aspirant

jeremyotten wrote:
If that is the only argument NOT to have such a cool interface.........

The main argument against it from my point of view is they would have to spend money doing it, and it would have zero value to me. If they're going to spend money on development, I'd rather they fixed bugs, made it ready for 3TB+ drives (if any work is needed for that) etc.
Message 4 of 79
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree with steve_i that features and bug fixes are more important. Having said that a redesign is longer overdue and would be nice.
Message 5 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

Another perspective - it would appear that Netgear/Infrant's historic focus has primarily been business users, or "prosumers" focused on capabilities not look & feel. Just consider the product line:

NV / NV+ / Rack mounted kit like the 1100 - all touted with business features and the whole ReadyNAS Pro & NVX Lines which are clearly aimed at businesses. In terms of consumer products, we have the Duo (a cut down NV+ - but seems to be *very* successful) and the Pioneer models which are software-crippled business machines. For pro users I don't think a "sexy" interface is key as the last couple of comments have demonstrated.

Now with the release of the Ultra-4/6 and the coming Ultra-2 it appears Netgear really wants to be in the consumer NAS market and having a nice, easy to use web interface where a user can access files with drag & drop without screwing around with or even having to know about WebDAV and the like would be a very welcome addition.

There's a lot to like about the Synology interface - i have tried it though found it quite slow (it's a demo - so don't think we can draw the conclusion a real machine interface would perform the same, but it's a valid concern). It has some nice features but more importantly, to many consumers the interface *is* the product. If it looks good and demos well, you're going to attract customers and certainly if Netgear wants to really get into the consumer market against the likes of Synology then I think they are going to have to make some investments here.

Let's hope their business is going well enough that they can add the resources to do something like this without sacrificing the support for their more traditional user base and enhancing functionality

(Edited to fix typos)
Message 6 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

+1000 for your comment.

What they at least could do is make the interface auto with to your monitor like this phpbb forum. All the scrolling gives me RSI...
Message 7 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

That's my biggest request too - spent alot of time in front of Frontview lately & on a 1920x1200 screen it is frustrating. Next would be some UI enhancements to reduce some of the complexity of using the NAS: eg Drag & Drop of folders to configure paths rather than having to know to type "/c/media" or whatever, a modern Filemanager GUI that works even when WebDAV is enabled etc
Message 8 of 79
spiderman1
Guide

I would much rather prefer to see more frequent bug fixes as opposed to a slick interface.
3TB as well as SSD support using existing ReadyNas products. Synology has already starting doing this:
http://www.synology.com/us/news/2010/05.28_news.php
Message 9 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

OK but that would mean a completely new unit with 2,5" support. I confess Synology and QNAP have had 2,5 and 3,5 inch support for a while now..

image the speed of a SSD nas. WOOOOOW!
Message 10 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

spiderman wrote:
I would much rather prefer to see more frequent bug fixes as opposed to a slick interface.
3TB as well as SSD support using existing ReadyNas products. Synology has already starting doing this:
http://www.synology.com/us/news/2010/05.28_news.php

Why can't we have both? If Synology can do it...
Message 11 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

You got a point there... I mean synology now also has an X-raid kind of thing called Hybrid Raid.
Message 12 of 79
spiderman1
Guide

Hopefully our guys will catch on to other NAS manufacturer developments and implementations and do better.

How about Thecus NAS features:

*Unmatched Reliability with Dual DOM Design
A Disk On Module (DOM) contains all of the system’s critical software. If it stops working for any reason, your system firmware could be inaccessible – or worse. With the N4200′s Dual DOM Design, a secondary DOM automatically reprograms the primary DOM if it fails, meaning your data is always safe and accessible.

*Easy Administration with Dual Displays
Featuring two separate displays, the N4200 is incredibly friendly to use. The LCD displays critical system information, including hard disk and network status, while the OLED allows you to change a number of different system settings, such as WAN, LAN, Link Aggregation, languages and more.

*Increased Flexibility with Dual HDD Profile Support
The N4200 features Thecus’ unique combo SATA hard disk bays, which can accommodate both 2.5″ and 3.5″ SATA hard disks! Choose 2.5″ drives for lower power consumption and quieter operation, or 3.5″ drives for extra capacity and performance.

😄
Message 13 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

I think your quote is from THECUS and not QNAP 😉

So we have THECUS / QNAP and SYNOLOGY as the competitors... THECUS is the least of them firmware stability wise...
Message 14 of 79
spiderman1
Guide

Oops your right. I'll fix it right now.
Message 15 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

Getting off topic me thinks...
Message 16 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

Very off topic! So lets focus on the interface. Who thinks the interface must me more WEB 2.0 standard?

I vote YES!
Message 17 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

You mean there is a Web 2.0 standard now? :slap:
Message 18 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

Yep which uses all kinds of nice AJAX effect etc and makes web applications act as desktop applications.. just like the synology interface..
Message 19 of 79
StavsMavs
Aspirant

Being a former Synology User, I have to agree that the Synology interface really is a nice piece of programming. Along with being beautiful to look at, the software is really fast and easy to use. Everything is laid out logically, and if you need help, its on the right hand side of the page (if you want it).
Message 20 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

@StavMavs - In the context of this thread if, what made you change if I assume from your statement you no longer use Synology? Is there anything, particularly in terms of useability that you really miss?
Message 21 of 79
StavsMavs
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
@StavMavs - In the context of this thread if, what made you change if I assume from your statement you no longer use Synology? Is there anything, particularly in terms of useability that you really miss?

Well, I just happened to be looking on ebay and I got a good deal on the NV+. My storage needs are growing, and I wanted something with 4 bays vs the 2 bay Synology 207+ I have. I just got my NV+ yesterday and really like it. It has a lot of nice features and seems like a very solid well built unit. I still have the Synology, until I get larger drives for the NV+, so I will be using both of them. Between the two, the thing that I will miss the most is that interface. Its extremely user friendly, and quite snappy....Frontview, not so snappy, and I tried it in multiple browsers (firefox, safari, and opera-I'm a mac guy). I like the fact that the interface takes advantage of the entire window, unlike Frontview which has a small window that you to scroll view. Another nice feature is that alot of stuff is built in to the firmware....you have "Download Station" for NZB and Bittorrent, and you also have "Filestation" for managinmg your files and moving between shares. Granted these types of things are available as addons, its nice and handy to have them built in as a starting point. Today I plan on looking at some of these addons to bring these functionalities to my NV+, and I am certain I will be pleased with them. If I had one thing to gripe about though, it would be the speed at which the interface moves-thats the biggy for me (would upgrading the ram help this?). Oh, and that loud fan on the NV+....that has got to go since I use this in a home theater environment.

Hopefully that all makes sense. I understand the products target different segments in some cases, but Synology does use the fancy interface on their business models as well as consumer/prosumer products. Again, I havent really gotten a complete feel for Frontview yet as I've only spent one day with it...these are just my initial observations.

Edit: Forgot why I really changed.....big thing for me was the XRAID feature of the Netgear, plus I got a really good feeling from browsing through the boards here. The community seems a bit stronger than Synologys.
Message 22 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

XRAID is the bomb but synology also stepped up with Hybrid Raid features.

Just upgrade the interface to WEB 2.0 guys and we have the best product all toghether...
Message 23 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

@StavMavs: Thanks for that - makes sense

Re the NV+ Interface: Unfortunately you will have to live with that - the low speed (but low power) sparc processor in the NV+ is to blame and increasing the RAM won't improve the UI experience. All newer ReadyNAS devices are based on x86 processors and though they run exactly the same UI, it is much, much faster. I certainly don't have any complaints about the speed on my Ultra-4
Message 24 of 79
prometheus1
Aspirant

hoave to agree that frontview is kind of dull and could do with a facelift :lol:
Message 25 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements