Trusted Contributor

Wow now that is a nice interface

Readynas is OK!

The only thing that lacks is a really cool and nowadays interface.

the new 3.0 interface of synology nases blows me away. I just like i am in windows.

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/demo/index.php

Can't you guys update your interface to nowadays standards?
Regular Contributor

Re: Wow now that is a nice interface

i dont want to see that.

why? because i sometime admin my nas from my phone.i havent tried it, but i bet stuff like that takes an age to load on mobile devices - if at all!
Unofficial Guides:
nzbget 2.2 auto unrar | files
Transmission Create Torrent
Trusted Contributor

If that is the only argument NOT to have such a cool interface.........

How does the current interface load on your phone??
Contributor

jeremyotten wrote:
If that is the only argument NOT to have such a cool interface.........

The main argument against it from my point of view is they would have to spend money doing it, and it would have zero value to me. If they're going to spend money on development, I'd rather they fixed bugs, made it ready for 3TB+ drives (if any work is needed for that) etc.
NETGEAR Moderator

I agree with steve_i that features and bug fixes are more important. Having said that a redesign is longer overdue and would be nice.
Esteemed Contributor

Another perspective - it would appear that Netgear/Infrant's historic focus has primarily been business users, or "prosumers" focused on capabilities not look & feel. Just consider the product line:

NV / NV+ / Rack mounted kit like the 1100 - all touted with business features and the whole ReadyNAS Pro & NVX Lines which are clearly aimed at businesses. In terms of consumer products, we have the Duo (a cut down NV+ - but seems to be *very* successful) and the Pioneer models which are software-crippled business machines. For pro users I don't think a "sexy" interface is key as the last couple of comments have demonstrated.

Now with the release of the Ultra-4/6 and the coming Ultra-2 it appears Netgear really wants to be in the consumer NAS market and having a nice, easy to use web interface where a user can access files with drag & drop without screwing around with or even having to know about WebDAV and the like would be a very welcome addition.

There's a lot to like about the Synology interface - i have tried it though found it quite slow (it's a demo - so don't think we can draw the conclusion a real machine interface would perform the same, but it's a valid concern). It has some nice features but more importantly, to many consumers the interface *is* the product. If it looks good and demos well, you're going to attract customers and certainly if Netgear wants to really get into the consumer market against the likes of Synology then I think they are going to have to make some investments here.

Let's hope their business is going well enough that they can add the resources to do something like this without sacrificing the support for their more traditional user base and enhancing functionality

(Edited to fix typos)

NAS: Ultra-4, NV+ & Duo v2 :: ST31500341AS & HDS723020BLA642 Drives
Network: Netgear GS108Tv2 / DM111P :: Airport Extreme / Express & Time Capsule
Clients: OS X 10.6 - 10.8 :: Ubuntu 11.x :: Win 7 + SP#1
UPS: APC ES-550

Trusted Contributor

+1000 for your comment.

What they at least could do is make the interface auto with to your monitor like this phpbb forum. All the scrolling gives me RSI...
Esteemed Contributor

That's my biggest request too - spent alot of time in front of Frontview lately & on a 1920x1200 screen it is frustrating. Next would be some UI enhancements to reduce some of the complexity of using the NAS: eg Drag & Drop of folders to configure paths rather than having to know to type "/c/media" or whatever, a modern Filemanager GUI that works even when WebDAV is enabled etc

NAS: Ultra-4, NV+ & Duo v2 :: ST31500341AS & HDS723020BLA642 Drives
Network: Netgear GS108Tv2 / DM111P :: Airport Extreme / Express & Time Capsule
Clients: OS X 10.6 - 10.8 :: Ubuntu 11.x :: Win 7 + SP#1
UPS: APC ES-550

Trusted Contributor

I would much rather prefer to see more frequent bug fixes as opposed to a slick interface.
3TB as well as SSD support using existing ReadyNas products. Synology has already starting doing this:
http://www.synology.com/us/news/2010/05.28_news.php
NAS Product 1: ReadyNAS Pro 6 8192 MB [6-6-6-18 DDR2]
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator-x86 Version: 6.2.4
RAID Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID (Single Redundancy)
Hard Disk Brand, Model, Capacity & Number: Seagate ST31000524NS 1TB x 6
ReadyNAS Security Mode: User

NAS Product 2: ReadyNAS Pro 3968 MB [4-5-5-15 DDR2]
RAIDiator Version: RAIDiator-x86 Version: 6.2.4
RAID Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2 (Single Redundant)
Hard Disk Brand, Model, Capacity & Number: Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB x 6
ReadyNAS Security Mode: User

Network Router/Switch/UPS: Nighthawk R7000, Netgear GS108T, APC Back-UPS RS 1200 LCD
Computers: Sony VAIO VPCF11C53-FZ21Z/Core i7 Q720 1.6 GHZ/8 gb ram/500gb Seagate/Windows 7 Ultimate
Shuttle XPC SX58J3/Core i7 980x Extreme Edition 3.33 GHZ /16 gb ram/256gb SSD OCZ/Windows 7
Macbook Pro 15" Retina/Core i7 4850-HQ 2.3 GHz/16gb ram/512gb SSD PCIe/OSX Mavericks

"I don't suppose I could convince you to come up here and fight like a spider?" - Spider Man
Trusted Contributor

OK but that would mean a completely new unit with 2,5" support. I confess Synology and QNAP have had 2,5 and 3,5 inch support for a while now..

image the speed of a SSD nas. WOOOOOW!
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors