× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wow now that is a nice interface

jeremyotten
Aspirant

Re: Wow now that is a nice interface

They launched DSM 3.0 and its breathtaking!

Netgear has a long way to go to get such a mature and WEB 2.0 interface... 😞

If they would add 5 years of warranty........... shit... then I would move i think...

Also Smallnetbuilder.com thinks the interface is way to old...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... 4-reviewed
Message 26 of 79
Richy_Boy
Aspirant

I recently found that Promise make a large range of quality NAS systems and by the looks of the GUI in their user manual it also looks way ahead of anything Netgear have done. I've been using ReadyNAs devices for years now and there has been zero work on the GUI from what I recall.

That wouldn't be such a big problem, but when you've got scroling windows within scrolling windows once you have long backup links/folders, yet have a whopping 22" monitor on your desk.. it's a bit naff - especially as the PRO devices we run aren't exactly cheap!

Rich
Message 27 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

Does NETGEAR have anything to say about this... is it on the roadmap?
Message 28 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

I think as Richy_Boy has stated here - the GUI is at the point where it is now limiting functionality that is expected. The lack of feedback from the backend NAS functions into the GUI especially is a significant weakness.
Message 29 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

Not for the x86 platform...
Message 30 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

jeremyotten wrote:
Not for the x86 platform...

Sorry - don't know what that means or refers to
Message 31 of 79
super_poussin
Virtuoso

Richy_Boy wrote:
I recently found that Promise make a large range of quality NAS systems and by the looks of the GUI in their user manual it also looks way ahead of anything Netgear have done. I've been using ReadyNAs devices for years now and there has been zero work on the GUI from what I recall.

That wouldn't be such a big problem, but when you've got scroling windows within scrolling windows once you have long backup links/folders, yet have a whopping 22" monitor on your desk.. it's a bit naff - especially as the PRO devices we run aren't exactly cheap!

Rich

If you look deep in code you will see that they have done some change

I think they are thinking and/or working on it , but for me it's not the highest priority
Message 32 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

I think it should have more PRIO because it another BIG selling argument for Synology / QNAP etc... so would it be for Netgear.
Message 33 of 79
yoh-dah
Guide

Thanks for the feedback guys, but we don't pre-announce what we're going to be doing. If we let you know, you know what we'll do to you if you spill the beans :nashammer:
Message 34 of 79
Richy_Boy
Aspirant

I thought it was called having a public roadmap, which is a good thing for sales, as people may invest in a ReadyNAS device for a feature which is not yet here (rather than going to competition which has it already, yet the hardware may not be quite as good).

By the way.. I need faster disks in my RN PRO.. are 15k SAS drives compatiability possible / on the roadmap? i.e. when using ESX I seem to run out of IOPS using SATA drives way before the network bandwidth is saturted (single GB link).

Rich
Message 35 of 79
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

But preannouncing what they're doing would signal to the competition as to what NetGear reckons it needs to do to maintain its position of producing the best NAS product in the market. There's obvious reasons why the Jedi keep their plans to themselves.
Message 36 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

Ofcourse the major secrets like possible blocklevel replication between readynasses shouldn't be made public. But what would the announcement of an advanced multi tasks AJAX web 2.0 frontview tell the competition... nothing ... because the competition already HAS IT!

😉
Message 37 of 79
Svein_Skogen
Aspirant

To be very blunt, I'd take a good old fashioned CLI over that synology form-over-function webgui any day. But then again I'm no fan of glossy plastic either, and used to manage a national-sized telco for a living before my health gave up on me. A rock solid CLI interface (which would still be responsive over a 9600 baud connection, btw) would quite likely need less cpu on the unit as well, cpu cycles that would be better spent on things like pattern-matching cache pre-fetches and other performance boosts.

//Svein
Message 38 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

I understand that but synology and qnap manage to give and the nice GUI and even better benchmarks on www.smallnetbuilders.com

QNAP's are peformance KING... not readynas anymore 😞
Message 39 of 79
yoh-dah
Guide

OK, chirpa, start taking names. :twisted:
Message 40 of 79
prometheus1
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:

:rofl:
Message 41 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:

Let's use this ANGER to make the product number 1 again on all the tests and in all the reviews...

Just like in the old days of INFRANT.. :? :shock: 🙂 😮 😄
Message 42 of 79
Svein_Skogen
Aspirant

Having had a chance to test my SS-439 (with 4x 500GB Momentus XT drives) for some days now ... Well, to be quite blunt: It runs in circles around the ReadyNAS 2100. Big circles. We're talking about 1.5x the speed on iSCSI set up to load balance over both the network cards (two IPs in both ends, round-robin load balancing between the portals). With standard 500GB Momentus 7200rpm laptop disks (not the XT hybrids) the performance difference is less, but the qnap still clocks in faster than the ReadyNAS2100, while also being cheaper.

Take down names all you want, but the facts remain the same.

//Svein
Message 43 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

Svein_Skogen wrote:
Having had a chance to test my SS-439 (with 4x 500GB Momentus XT drives) for some days now ...

And the UI?
Message 44 of 79
Svein_Skogen
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
Svein_Skogen wrote:
Having had a chance to test my SS-439 (with 4x 500GB Momentus XT drives) for some days now ...

And the UI?

I think the grade I'm looking for is "far less annoying", or possibly "less horrible", with a sprinkle of "less illogical". 😉

//Svein
Message 45 of 79
sphardy1
Apprentice

Check out the 2nd post of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=46597

Irrespective of anything else, that post highlights exactly the type of basic improvement that Frontview requires.

That the interface does little checking that the options being selected are actually valid is very poor. The interface should respond instantly, and not force a user to look elsewhere or to download and sift through numerous cryptic logs to get a clue as to what has gone wrong.
Message 46 of 79
jeremyotten
Aspirant

I hate to do this but...

http://www.synology.com/enu/video/video_dsm3.0.php

its so good!
Message 47 of 79
stinhambo
Aspirant

ReadyNAS, here is what you need to do.

Call these guys - http://8020studio.com/

They will help you create an amazing control panel interface.

Oh and add eSATA for faster backups.
Message 48 of 79
ksaraf
Aspirant

Even without the interface, Netgear has a long way to go. I think Readynas has just become a hobby for them rather than a real product they are trying to sell. Anyone want to buy my NV+? I'm switching companies.
Message 49 of 79
CharlesLaCour
Aspirant

I will agree that the UI is not fancy and has some issues but I do not find that it is bad enough to switch to an different product. I have never been partial to interfaces with a lot of eye candy. I far prefer a UI that is simple and the options are easy to find. I actually prefer a good command line utility to a GUI especially if the utility can be used in scripts.

I have not seen anything that would give the impression that Netgear is treating the ReadyNAS as a hobby, they are releasing new hardware models and updating the firmware, except for the legacy Sparc based units. It may not be helpful if you, like me, have one of these legacy units but that is the nature of the industry. I have a Sun Blade 1000 Workstation that has a Standard Sun video card that Solaris 11 doesn't support. Apple OS X no longer support the PowerPC architecture.
Message 50 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements