× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X-RAID implemantation

MobUK
Aspirant

X-RAID implemantation

Hi. I've been reading up on the difference between NAS and ordinary hard drives and one thing that pops up is TLER.

I understand that it's only really relevant if RAID is done in hardware.

So can you tell me, is X-RAID a software or hardware raid in the ReadyNAS RND4200v2

Thanks

Mo

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: X-RAID implemantation

A few years ago NAS-purposed drives came out (WDC Red, Seagate Ironwolf).  Just use those instead of a consumer-grade drive.  Or of course use an enterprise-grade drive (including WDC Red Pro, Ironwolf Pro, among many others).

Enterprise-grade will give the fastest performance.  Reliability is supposed to be better, but good data on that is hard to find.

The NAS-purposed consumer grade are lower performing, although still fast enough to saturate a gigabit network connection.  They run cooler than enterprise-grade (using less power).

@MobUK wrote:

I have seen some folks who say that, but they appear to be pretty dated articles.  So I wouldn't assume that is still true. Also there is some additional vibration control in NAS-purposed drives (which is helpful when you have multiple drives in the same chassis).

@MobUK wrote:

So can you tell me, is X-RAID a software or hardware raid in the ReadyNAS RND4200v2

Software raid.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

A few years ago NAS-purposed drives came out (WDC Red, Seagate Ironwolf).  Just use those instead of a consumer-grade drive.  Or of course use an enterprise-grade drive (including WDC Red Pro, Ironwolf Pro, among many others).

Enterprise-grade will give the fastest performance.  Reliability is supposed to be better, but good data on that is hard to find.

The NAS-purposed consumer grade are lower performing, although still fast enough to saturate a gigabit network connection.  They run cooler than enterprise-grade (using less power).

@MobUK wrote:

I have seen some folks who say that, but they appear to be pretty dated articles.  So I wouldn't assume that is still true. Also there is some additional vibration control in NAS-purposed drives (which is helpful when you have multiple drives in the same chassis).

@MobUK wrote:

Software raid.

Message 2 of 3
MobUK
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. A very useful bunch of info. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Moby

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements