× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to vertically expand a ReadyNAS 104

StephenB
Guru

Re: how to vertically expand a ReadyNAS 104

As I thought I said before, the straightforward path is to turn X-RAID back on, and then hot-insert your new disk into an empty slot.

The NAS should detect it, and automatically add it to the array.  You'll end up with 3x3TB RAID-5 volume that has 6 TB of space (twice what you have now).

Note that X-RAID is currently off on your system (you need to click on the X-RAID control to re-enable it).  When it's enabled there is a green stripe across the X-RAID control.

Message 26 of 27
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Re: how to vertically expand a ReadyNAS 104

If you have 3 HDD's, I would use X-RAID.  You can get an Idea of what you get using Netgear's RAID Calculator.

https://rdconfigurator.netgear.com/raid/index.html

So for example, I drop in 3, 3TB HDD's.  You look on the right side, it shows:

XRaid
Capacity: 5.44 TiB
Protection: 2.73 TiB
 Unused: 0 B
 Level: X-RAID (raid5)

A HDD rated capacity for a few reasons is not quite what is shown on the Box or sticker of the drive.  A single 3TB HDD works out to about 2.72TB.  So in RAID 5, you have 2 drives added together for storage and the 3rd is redundancy.   With RAID Magic, if ANY of those 3 HDD fails, you can in fact still use your NAS.  I've been using mine as it's been rebuilding as I add larger 8TB drives into mine.  1 Rebuild, takes about 24 hours, then a second one, which is almost finished.   So 1 drive fails, you can pull it, install a new HDD of equal or greater size and the NAS will rebuild that drive from the Data on the other HDD's.

This is the main reason to have a NAS over a basic external HDD.

Now you could leave it using FLEX-RAID 5 if you want which is basically like X-Raid 5.  The storage results would be the same.
But you can go through all the different ones and see the results.  
Flex-Raid0
Capacity:  8.17 TiB
Protection:  0 B
 Unused:  0 B
 Level: Traditional RAID 0

But say you have 2, 3TB HDD and you add 2, 8TB HDD's to your NAS.  This is where XRaid benefits over Flex Raid really comes into play.
XRaid
Capacity: 12.7 TiB
 Protection: 7.28 TiB
 Unused: 0 B
 Level: X-RAID (raid5)

This is Flex Raid.
Capacity:  8.16 TiB
 Protection:  2.73 TiB
 Unused:  9.09 TiB
 Level:  Traditional RAID 5

As you can see, you lose 9.09TB in space with FLEX-Raid!!!!    So it's normally best to use XRaid.  I would switch to XRaid, let it do it's thing, when done, just pop in the new HDD.   Do you have your Data backed up?  Did you use FlexRaid 0?  I would back up, switch to XRaid, then pop in the new drive.  It should know what to do with it.

My old NAS, I started with 2 in XRaid, which was Raid1.  Clone of the first HDD.  After a couple months, I popped in a 3rd HDD, it changed over to XRaid 5.  I gained more space at this point.  Any of the 3 HDD could fail, I could pull it and replace it with a new one of equal or greater size.  It was a year later that I added a 4th HDD.  Just popped it in and the NAS grew in more storage.  Now any 1 of the 4 HDD could fail and I could new a new HDD swap.  

At that point, it was an old, already pretty slow ARM ReadyNAS.  I upgraded to a much more expensive Commercial NAS with an Intel CPU in it and 6 bays.  But the new NAS used a different disc format should I had to back up that old NAS to other HDD's I had.  Swap those 4, 3TB WD RED drives to my new NAS and now I had 2 free spots to grow.  My first WD RED drive I installed was back in Jan 17th 2013.    5 years ago and the HDD's still work great and show zero erros.  I later installed a couple Seagate 3TB, NAS drives.  One of those shows like 3 ATA errors, but it's been like that for the last couple of years.   Those 6, 3TB drives gave me just over 13TB of space.

This last Sunday I notice Best Buy had a sale of the 8TB WD Easyshare external drives at $129 each.  It's since gone back up to $199.    Early on these were RED Label drives.   Now they're White Label drives.  Which from what I hear are RED drives.  You want the ones with 256 Gig Cache, not 128.  Mine are 256.  I ripped them from those external cases to pop into my NAS.  They seem to be working great. Much cheaper than WD RED 8TB drives from Amazon at $250 a pop.  But it may not work on some NAS units or some computers.  Without some slight mod to 1 power pin.  It worked just fine in my ReadyNAS.  Have to keep my eyes open for another price drop.  I should have gotten at least 1 more.   My 2, 3TB Red drives are still good and can be used to replace a bad 3TB drive in the future.

It is funny how these company's slap a HDD into a case with a USB controller, etc and it's CHEAPER than just buying a bare HDD.   I've seen Seagate do the exact same thing.  You can to know what you're getting.  I think WD other My Book which is also external drive and 8TB is using their Blue drive I believe.  You don't want that one for your NAS!!!  It's $30 cheaper than the current Easystore price.  Don't get it!!!  This is internet research in action.

Message 27 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements