× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new RN424: which WD Red drive?

kmmcd
Aspirant

new RN424: which WD Red drive?

My new RN424 should be delivered today. Now, on to selecting drives. I really only NEED 2xWD40EFRX. However, is there anything I should consider (other than the obvious increase in storage capacity) in possibly starting out with 2xWD60EFRX or 2xWD80EFRX?

(The WD40EFRX have been out for a while and have an established track record. However, the other, larger are newer technology.)

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: new RN424: which WD Red drive?

If you only need the space those will give for now that's fine. You can add additional disks as needed and replace the 4TB disks with higher capacity disks later on.

You should consider how quickly you expect your storage needs to grow when deciding which capacity disks to get. The 4TB disks may be cheaper but if you need to replace them with higher capacity soon will end up costing you more. However if you don't need to replace them for a long time they'll end up saving you quite a bit.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you only need the space those will give for now that's fine. You can add additional disks as needed and replace the 4TB disks with higher capacity disks later on.

You should consider how quickly you expect your storage needs to grow when deciding which capacity disks to get. The 4TB disks may be cheaper but if you need to replace them with higher capacity soon will end up costing you more. However if you don't need to replace them for a long time they'll end up saving you quite a bit.

Message 2 of 3
kmmcd
Aspirant

FYI, I ordered 2xWD60EFRX. Between a sale and a discount coupon, I got a relatively good deal.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements