× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"ERR: Used Disks" After Reboot

mnr
Aspirant
Aspirant

"ERR: Used Disks" After Reboot

A few days ago, I started a defragmentation of my X-raid array of four disks due to declining access speed.  While I had never done this before with the ReadyNAS, I naively expected a similar experience to what I'm used to from Windows, including a progress indicator and a way of stopping the process partway.  Well, two days later without any kind of UI or log feedback, but constant disk activity and ridiculous access times, I decided to just reboot the NAS via the web management interface, which would hopefully stop the presuably ongoing defragmentation process.

After the reboot, I was met with the "ERR: Used Disks" message on the NAS LED display and "Previously formatted disk(s) detected (Dirty Disks)" in RAIDar.

I've tried reinstalling the OS via the boot menu, which didn't change anything as far as the error messages go.

I don't have a backup of my 9+ TB data, so I'd truly appreciate suggestions as to how I might recover them.  Thanks in advance. 🙂

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: "ERR: Used Disks" After Reboot

Looks like your removal and readding of disk 4 was the problem.

Rebooting.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well if you have that much data on just the one device it can't be that important. If you value your data you shouldn't store it on just the one device.

My guess would be a full 4GB root volume that's failing to mount.

I've sent you a PM.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like your removal and readding of disk 4 was the problem.

Rebooting.

Message 3 of 5
mnr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the assistance! 🙂

I did try to swap the 1 TB disk for an 8 TB one a few days ago (should have given me around 7 TB additional effective storage space), but the 8 TB disk turned out to be faulty, so I put the original 1 TB disk back in.  No idea that could cause problems.  

Anyway, thanks again. 🙂

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well adding it in when the NAS was on the system would've told you that you needed to format it. Adding it back in with the system off is where booting could be prevented. The system detected that the root volume on the 1TB disk was out of sync with the other disks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements