× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas 104 dual-disk redundancy? Flex Raid and XRaid2

retosteffen
Aspirant

readynas 104 dual-disk redundancy? Flex Raid and XRaid2

Hi,

I have an old NV+ and was thinking about upgrading but was looking for a dual-disk redundant system.
Sadly the website isn't particularly clear (or I'm not looking at the right pages). Does the new 104 support dual-disk redundancy (Raid 6)?

It seems (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22808) that flex-raid does raid 6 with at least 4 disk (so the 104 should be able to).
And is it true (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22802) that XRaid2 only does single disk redundancy?

Any help would be appreciated.
Hava a nice day
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should be able to use RAID-6 but performance won't be very good. I would recommend getting the RN314, RN316 or RN516.

You should be able to switch to Flex-RAID (i.e. disable X-RAID), delete the volume, create a RAID-6 volume then switch back to X-RAID.
Message 2 of 12
retosteffen
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.
So XRaid should keep the RAID setting, once the readynas is in RAID6 and not go back to RAID5?
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes
Message 4 of 12
retosteffen
Aspirant

Perfect. Many thanks!!
Message 5 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

mdgm wrote:

You should be able to switch to Flex-RAID (i.e. disable X-RAID), delete the volume, create a RAID-6 volume then switch back to X-RAID.

Whaaaatt??

unless os6 has changed this, you can't switch from flex-raid to x-raid modes or vice versa without factory defaulting again.
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

TeknoJnky wrote:
mdgm wrote:

Whaaaatt??

unless os6 has changed this, you can't switch from flex-raid to x-raid modes or vice versa without factory defaulting again.
With OS6 you can switch. The existing volume(s) are deleted, but the OS settings, add-ons, etc. are preserved.

I haven't seen an option to switch w/o deleting volumes though, so I am a bit confused also.
Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With OS6 you can switch. I've tried it with one volume in my RN516 and it does not delete the volume as far as I could tell.
Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
With OS6 you can switch. I've tried it with one volume in my RN516 and it does not delete the volume as far as I could tell.
It did on my RN102, but that was with the first beta firmware.
Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well in my RN516 running 6.0.8 I was able to do it. I have a 6-drive RAID-6 array that I converted to a X-RAID2 array.
Message 10 of 12
retosteffen
Aspirant

I'm still slightly confused.
Has anyone had success with a 4 disk system and XRaid2 as a Raid6?
And are you sure that afterwards XRaid2 really has dual disk redundancy?
Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disable X-RAID, delete the volume, create a RAID-6 volume (at least four disks must be installed to use this), switch back to X-RAID and download the logs. Have a look at mdstat.log. It should show that md127 is using RAID level 6.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements