× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas observations

fluffybunnyuk
Aspirant

readynas observations

I recently bought a readynas to use as slow storage on my network for 16TB as opposed to faster storage on my 3ware hware raid6 card which can squeak out close to 1TB/sec. Having read all kinds of things about slow cpu,lack of memory etc i was keen to get my hands on one and see how it felt. Im actually rather impressed and think on the whole netgear have done a good job. Naturally after patching it, i decided to ssh in and have a play before really using it. I found it was quite amenable to modifications having built a linux toolchain on it that supports hardening ala gentoo ( i couldnt be asked to use cpu resources to cross-build it...). So its nice to know its customisable in the future when netgear stop supporting it. Anyway after playing around...i factory reset it. installed the other disks, and set to adding it to my domain controller with the active directory accounts which is nice since it now sits at nas.domainname.local with a nice cert on it from my certificate services. Its double nat (i dont want external access) to the outside world so sometimes it likes to abort installing apps. I agree with the comments readynasd is a bit enthusiastic in its cpu use, and some of the features run obsessively despite not being needed like x-drive checking for more drives.... and the attempts at downloads sometimes run every hour for AV or firmware upgrades but on the whole it does just what i want. Oh one thing i am curious about on my box SATA 4 is LED 1 , and LED 4 is SATA1 oddly enough!!!.... maybe someone in the factory wired it round the wrong way...

i'll try to add my twopennys worth from time to time. all the best

Bunny

Message 1 of 4
cpu8088
Virtuoso

at this moment i dont think any readynas can do 1 Tb/s transfer rate

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@cpu8088 wrote:

at this moment i dont think any readynas can do 1 Tb/s transfer rate

And of course there's no network that can carry that speed either.  Even in data centers I think the ceiling now for link speed is 40-100 gbits.

Message 3 of 4
fluffybunnyuk
Aspirant

it was an apple n pears comparison. 16tb storage on the nas (which to me is important) as a slow store. and speed on the hware raid card. i self edited out a thought about not having FUA on the nas which is why it probably didnt make sense.

I bet if you put 6 high speed ssd's in the 6 bay netgear nas it could do 1tb/sec...

as for speed i saturate(99%capacity) the 2x1gbit connections with no difficulty both ways thru a 10gbit hub. i transferred 10tb off the raid to the nas in 11hours. tbh i might even buy another one.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements