× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: setup advice - time to upgrade?

ray_young
Follower

setup advice - time to upgrade?

Hi There,  

Recently started working in a small graphic design studio and have inherited responsibilty for the server! It currently consists of a ReadyNAS NV+ (4 disks, 52% of 1380 GB used), gig ethernet switch, 2 mac pros, 1 imac and a few occasional windows laptops.  

Lately it's been very slow accessing and working from files, espicially if more than one person. We're also moving office soon and I wondered if we should change/upgrade. 

We're not particularly techie so don't really know what it would involve.  For example could we buy a new readyNAS and just pop the disks in it - or is there more to it?! 

Any advice greatly appreaciated!

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ray_young wrote:

Lately it's been very slow accessing and working from files, espicially if more than one person. We're also moving office soon and I wondered if we should change/upgrade. 

Has the number of users (or the overall load) increased?  Or is the cause of the slowdown unknown?  

I'm asking because there could be something failing.

However, to answer your question: A new NAS would be quite a bit faster than the NV+.  It sounds to me like an RN314 or possibly an RN516 would be the right choices for you.  Both are intended for business use.

Unfortunately you can't simply move the disks over.  I'd start with new disks anyway, since they are old.  Disks have gotten bigger, so you could get 2x3TB, giving you more space than you have now, and empty slots for expansion later.  When the new NAS is set up, you can copy the data over from the NV+ over your gigabit network.  

Do you have a backup plan in place?  If not, then you could re-purpose your NV+ as a backup to the new NAS.

Message 2 of 6

You can olso buy a RN316!

Message 3 of 6
funglenn
Luminary

as you are not a techie, and this is for business use, I will mention this:  A NAS is a great system for data storage, and the raid formating helps ensure the data is protected. HOWEVER a NAS is no replacement for having backups. It is critical, esp in a corporate environment to have backups as well--preferably offsite.

Look at using the old readynas but keeping it far from the main one.  I am not sure if the NV+  can use the replicate feature, but this would enable your new and this old readynas to replicate though the internet, meaning the old system can be put in another location.

Or look at a cloud based storage solution.  Or just a plain old external HD that you do weekly to backup your relatively small storage array.

Cheers!

Message 4 of 6

@funglennyou are right, If you are running a business an on site backup is mandatory and offsite too. If your home and office are distant you can do it like that!! And each device under strict warranty!!! Out of warranty equipment should only be used as a plan C or D end temporarily!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

This thread had been dormant for 5 months.

In my opinion, responding to long-dormant threads isn't that helpful.  The OP usually isn't paying attention any more.  And if you are running into the same or similar problems, it's usually better to start a fresh one (linking to the original if you think it is relevant).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements