× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

syncing folders from a PC to ReadyNAS 212

Nigelgf
Aspirant

syncing folders from a PC to ReadyNAS 212

Hi

I was wondering what is the best / recommended way to sync files between folders on Windows 10 PC (like MY Documents, My Picture,..etc) on to the ReadyNAS 212?

I can access my ReadyNAS through the internet explorer using the "https://readycloud.netgear.com" address no problem.  I can also manually copy files to it fine.

I could perhaps use the Windows 10 "backup" feature or "File history" feature but is this the best way to do what I am trying to do (i.e. keep files synced between PC & NAS).

I also want to be able to play the files on the NAS using other devices in my house (e.g. SMART TV).  This works fine when I manually copy a file to the NAS - I just want to be sure what ever syncing method i use will also work fine for reading/playing the files directly off the NAS.

In an old Youtube clip (2014) on the Netgear NAS I saw an app needed to downloaded to my PC to do the syncing i wanted to do above.  The latest version of the web client didn't seem to let you download the App from inside it (like the clip showed) so I downloaded and installed ReadyCLOUD for Windows on my PC.  However when i run it says "currently you have no registered devices".  So not sure if I still need to complete another step or it has nothing to do with this...

Any help / guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
Nigelgf
Aspirant

Re: syncing folders from a PC to ReadyNAS 212

Just worked out i need to enable "ReadyCLOUD" in the CLOUD tab on the browser.  The ReadyCLOUD PC client now recognises/resigters the NAS. Hopefully all good from here to setup the syncing...?

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Imho using win10 "File History" would be the most easy approach.

+ You only have to define the NAS as the target of the syncing

+ You don't have to install any app on the NAS to support this

+ Assuming the NAS is always available you can completely control the way of syncing by configuring win10

- You will get a somewhat odd directory structure on the volume of NAS you will be syncing to. Might want to check your current target on external hd or whatever you use to see what "File history" is doing locally.

Message 3 of 4
Nigelgf
Aspirant

Thanks Roland for your reply.

I suspect you may be right that using File History might be my best option for what i want to do.

I have been able to get the ReadyCLOUD windows client to sync and backup but the way it sync's is less than ideal to me.  Issues/limitations include:

- I used the "Bacup PC folder" function which backs up the folder to the NAS fine.  However this is not a sync function.  When i tried the "Sync with PC" function on the windows client it just created a new folder on my PC in the x:\User\name\ReadyCloud location.  So basically a 2nd copy of my data on the PC hard disk.

- Based on the previous point it seems ReadyCLOUD windows client will only do syncing between the PC and the NAS if file are in the x:\User\name\ReadyCloud location on the PC.

- Very little (any???) documentation/manuals on the ReadyCLOUD windows client.  Most things I have found by trial and error.

So my options to sync folders in My Documents...etc area on my PC seem to be:

- I think a backup can also be setup directly on the NAS using the browser interface (i.e. not using windows client). Haven't tried this yet. Maybe there will be limitations with this? Does anyone have a view on this?

- Use Windows File History

- Find/use some 3rd party syncing software.

Leaning towards the Windows File History.  Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements