× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

temporary use of drive for test

Ruben_Rocha
Aspirant

temporary use of drive for test

Just purchaced a rn316 readynas.

I have 3-3tb wd red drives installed and all seems okay using xraid.

Showing 8.71 tb total space.as raid 5

I have already copied data to the drives.

My question is I would like to test the last two open bays to make sure they work okay on a temporary basis.

Currently I have a 4tb wd red and a 1tb wd blue  spare I can use but I don't want to leave them in the NAS at this time.

They are on the compatibility list.

Does it matter which bay I place the 4 or 1 tb drive in and what happens If I remove them for a furture use .

I guess my real question is I don't want to insert them just for a test of the bays ,remove them and then leave bays 5 and 6 empty, if it will that cause a issue that it will report that the drives have failed or missing. Then strart over again with a factory reset.

If there is a way to permanatly remove them other than just phiscally pulling them out that will not cause issues.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: temporary use of drive for test

What you need to do is set the NAS to use flexraid - then it won't automatically add newly inserted disks to the existing data volume.

Then you can insert a disk, create a temporary volume, run the disk test, etc.  Just delete that temporary volume before you remove the disk.

An alternative is to power down, remove all your working disks (labeling them by slot), and then put your test disk in the slot you want to test.  If the disk is blank, you can just power up.  If it isn't blank, do a factory install from the boot menu.  If that works, then the slot is fine.

Then done, just power down, put your working disks back (removing the test disk), and power up again.

wrote:

Does it matter which bay I place the 4 or 1 tb drive in

No, you can use whatever bays you leave empty.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What you need to do is set the NAS to use flexraid - then it won't automatically add newly inserted disks to the existing data volume.

Then you can insert a disk, create a temporary volume, run the disk test, etc.  Just delete that temporary volume before you remove the disk.

An alternative is to power down, remove all your working disks (labeling them by slot), and then put your test disk in the slot you want to test.  If the disk is blank, you can just power up.  If it isn't blank, do a factory install from the boot menu.  If that works, then the slot is fine.

Then done, just power down, put your working disks back (removing the test disk), and power up again.

wrote:

Does it matter which bay I place the 4 or 1 tb drive in

No, you can use whatever bays you leave empty.

Message 2 of 3
Ruben_Rocha
Aspirant

Okay that makes sense. I don't want to loose three days worth of copying. to just test the bays if they are okay.

Thank You.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements