× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[wish] Factory default while keeping data

TeknoJnky
Hero

[wish] Factory default while keeping data

Something the entire readynas line really needs is a safe and supported way to factory default without losing the data volume.

Yes, I am well aware of ways to do it and have done it, but it needs to be a simple to use and supported.
Message 1 of 8
chirpa
Luminary

Re: [wish] Factory default while keeping data

I don't see that being officially supported. They use factory default as guarantee to clear any wrong doing via SSH, or to create new file systems with new methods. EXT4 created in 4.2.9 and created in 4.2.22 are not the same.
Message 2 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

I understand that data volumes created with different raidiator versions may not have the same capabilities or features, but that still does not excuse the lack of a safe and supported method to clear the *SYSTEM ONLY* while leaving the data safe.

Support is much more likely for a customer to clear the system while saving the data, than to convince them of factory defaulting the whole system and the accompanying need to backup/restore.
Message 3 of 8
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Are you ultimately asking about the OS reinstall function, the one that rewrites the OS onto the OS partition? That does not harm data as long as there are no other underlying problems like channel failure or disk failure.
Message 4 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

readysecure1985 wrote:
Are you ultimately asking about the OS reinstall function, the one that rewrites the OS onto the OS partition? That does not harm data as long as there are no other underlying problems like channel failure or disk failure.

yes, essentially reformatting /md0 and reinstalling from firmware, while keeping /c/c

this would return the system to the factory defaults, clearing out any ssh screwups, addons, or rootkits if a device got compromised (ie by leaving ssh port open with a weak password).

yes I understand that some addons use /c/addons to store information on the data volume, but if the system were erased and returned to default, no custom addons would be installed or loaded on the system partition and thus also avoid having a broken addon being loaded from the data volume.
Message 5 of 8
InTheShires
Tutor

TeknoJnky wrote:
readysecure1985 wrote:

yes, essentially reformatting /md0 and reinstalling from firmware, while keeping /c/c

this would return the system to the factory defaults, clearing out any ssh screwups, addons, or rootkits if a device got compromised (ie by leaving ssh port open with a weak password).

yes I understand that some addons use /c/addons to store information on the data volume, but if the system were erased and returned to default, no custom addons would be installed or loaded on the system partition and thus also avoid having a broken addon being loaded from the data volume.

Certainly gets a +1 from me!

Would be an ideal solution IMO.
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree with chirpa's reasons for them not officially supporting something like this.
Message 7 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

Having a factory default with keeping the data, does not mean that they have to remove the full factory default and remove data.

Having both would give greater flexibility. Obviously factory defaulting with keeping data would not solve data volume related issues, nor would it be intended to do so.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements