× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xterm-256color support on NV+

kiwi1969
Aspirant

xterm-256color support on NV+

Hi,

I was trying to get around this since OSX Lion defaults to $TERM=xterm-256color
One workaround posted somewhere, was to configure Terminal in OSX to use xterm-color when connecting to the ReadyNAS. The problem with this is that you only get 8 colors for all connections to any system (unless you change it each time)

My first fix was to copy the ReadyNAS xterm-color to a new file xterm-256-color, and setup a required symlink. This worked, but still wasn't ideal.

The proper fix is to install ncurses-term to get a heap more terminal types, then copy to the correct place, and add a symlink into where the package copy the files (as that's not where the ReadyNAS likes those files to be)
As it installs a lot of terminal definitions into /usr/share/terminfo, I actually uninstalled after copying.

From memory, this is what I did from a SSH to the ReadyNAS :
(Note:I upgraded the ncurses-base and ncurses-bin just in case there was a version conflict potential, and you may get away with just ncurses-term)

apt-get install ncurses-base
apt-get install ncurses-bin
apt-get install ncurses-term
mv /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-256color /etc/terminfo/x/xterm-256color
apt-get remove ncurses-term
cd /usr/share/terminfo/x
ln -s /etc/terminfo/x/xterm-256color
Message 1 of 2
kiwi1969
Aspirant

Re: xterm-256color support on NV+

You will also need to edit .bashrc to enable the colors (lines already exist, just need to be uncommented)
The next login will then be colorized.
You will need to redo this each firmware upgrade!

export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
eval `dircolors`
alias ls='ls $LS_OPTIONS'
alias ll='ls $LS_OPTIONS -l'
alias l='ls $LS_OPTIONS -lA'
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements