Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2014 Router update

CaptZador
Aspirant

2014 Router update

Can the R 7000 from 2014 still be updated? And is the Nighthawk app Useable on windows 10 with this router?

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Firmware updates are still made available for the R7000 -> https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000.aspx

There is no Nighthawk App neither for Windows nor for MacOS - you can continue using the Genie program, for Live Parental Control it's even required. And yes, this Genie for Windows program can run on Windows 10.

Message 2 of 5
CaptZador
Aspirant

Thank you very much for all of your help. I did load a zipped update file to my windows 10, but this machine has no ethernet connection for the older ethernet cables. Any suggestions. was hoping that I could run the update wirelessly to the R 7000 router.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

So what does stop you from doing the update via the wireless connection? USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet and USB 3.x to Gigabit Ethernet adapters are in the market for a few dollars if it has to be a wired connection.

The App would do the very same, or do you have Ethernet adapters for your mobile devices?

Message 4 of 5

@CaptZador wrote:

....was hoping that I could run the update wirelessly to the R 7000 router.

If you can access the browser interface on your R7000, then there is nothing to stop you from updating the firmware over wifi. It is a bit less reliable, but many people successfully manage it,

As you have a Windows 10 PC, you could install the Netgear Desktop Genie for Windows and start with that.

If you want the desktop genie for Windows start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Click through the obnoxious popup for the Nighthawk junk.

The genie will attempt to install the latest firmware for you. Older versions need a bit more footwork.

This bit is puzzling:

@CaptZador wrote:

....this machine has no ethernet connection for the older ethernet cables.

Ethernet cables are ethernet cables. Maybe you mean the PC does not have any Ethernet support.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7