Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1750 - Genie Parental Control Fails Checking Firmware, OpenDDS working. Wifi Not, Cannot Disa

Mike4678
Aspirant

AC1750 - Genie Parental Control Fails Checking Firmware, OpenDDS working. Wifi Not, Cannot Disable

Hi,  

Scan topics and have not found solution.  AC1750 and Genie Issue, Win10 Pro,  Enabled Parental Controls, created OpenDNS and appears all appeared well execept WIFI devices not accessing internet. WIFI devices have connection reported by AC1750 console and Genie.  Genie version is 2.4.54,  AC1750 is V1.0.1.38_1.0.25

So Trying to reset, undo,  DNS via AC1750 Web console. Won't allow modifications without disabling Parental Controls.

VIA Genie, appears all menu selections working EXPECT depressing Parental Controls results in failed Checking Router Firwmare, check internet connection.... Thus cannot get past this to disable Parental Controls to reset dns settings to get back to orignal configureation before I let the "genie out of the bottle"

Cannot change AC1750 DNS settings to undo OpenDNS settings.   Don't want to reset AC1750 due to rules, vpn, vlan settings. 

So

0) Symantec Endpoint firewall disabled.

1) Ethernet Connections working fine with OpenDNS filtering.

2) Genie will not get past detecting router via  Parantel Controls. 

3) Wifi Not connecting to internet or to AC1750 web console. WiFi Adapter DNS = 208.67.222.222 , 208.67.220.220

4) Web connection to AC1750 shows all PC and Wireless connections active

5) Netgear Genie Shows Network Connections, Wifi connections, router firmware vesion.

6) Genie > Router Settings > returns V1.0.1.36 as expected. 

Ideas? 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Mike4678
Aspirant

Re: AC1750 - Genie Parental Control Fails Checking Firmware, OpenDDS working. Wifi Not, Cannot Disa

So, in order not to be hijacked by BUGGY R6400 / Genie Parent Control software, reloaded prior router config. Only way I could get wireless devices back on line.   Hope NG fixes Genie. Promising, but no cigar.

OpenDNS works as well as ever and working fine on my Non-Netgear other networks.

Moving on to business class non-netgear router after wasting hours on this.

Message 2 of 4

Are you still looking for ideas?

If so, can you boil it down to a simple point or two?

Something like "My wifi doesn't work".

I gather that your model number is R6400. (AC1750 is a wifi speed, not a model number.) But at the start you say that the firmware version is V1.0.1.38_1.0.25. The latest firmware for the R6400 is R6400-V1.0.1.36_1.0.25.chk

R6400 Firmware Version 1.0.1.36 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That's the one you mention later.

It isn't clear to me if you have factory reset the thing. If you do reset DO NOT RESTORE A BACKUP unless you have confirmed that it does not revive whatever fault you are seeing.

Message 3 of 4
Mike4678
Aspirant

Sorry,  fat fingers.. yes .36 firmware,  R6400.

Sure, open to ideas that allow Genie to work even though i can simply create a OpenDNS account, set DNS  primary and secondary on router and devices point to OpenDNS.

1) Wifi based PCs not accessing Internet after enabling parental controls / OpenDNS 

1)   Genie on Win 10 will not identify router preventing further use even though other menu items retrieve data from router. 

2)  When selecting Parental Controls in order to disable Parental Control to Reset DNS back to internet provider defaults,  Genie fails while checking firmware. 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7