Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

(AC2400) Device renaming not working

JustinT1010
Aspirant

(AC2400) Device renaming not working

As the title implies, I’m unable to rename devices inside of the Nighthawk app, I also tried renaming the devices inside the routers web based utility, and refreshed the nighthawk app to see if it worked, it didn’t. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the ability to rename the device inside the app.

Router Firmware Version: V1.2.0.42_1.0.1
Nighthawk App Version: 2.3.6.7
Operating System: iOS
Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: (AC2400) Device renaming not working

Hi @JustinT1010, welcome to the community! I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 2 of 6
martroe1
Tutor

I have a similar issue. I named one of my devices ipcamera1 and now I have that showing in the list several times. All the entrys are diffent ip addresses but they all have the same mac address. I cant delete names and rename individually as any change impacts them all.

Strangely several of the ones identified are ipcameras but obviously have diffent names and mac addresses than is shown in the app. I have uninstalled and re-installed the app with no change and initially this affected the router when I first set it up but the devices list in the router seems o.k. now.  I am using the app on IOS and all software is upto date. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 6
ch4insaw
Aspirant

I have the same issue with mine. I went through and renamed some devices as well as changed the icon. The next time I opened the app none of the changes I made were saved! Very frustrating. Did you ever get a solution for this issue?

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
martroe1
Tutor

No, I haven't  managed to sort this out.

What I did manage to ascertain is that the mac address that was being shown for all of the cameras was the address of my signal repeater. My system consists of the Nighthawk in the house, an Access Point/ Repeater in the garage and a second access point in my workshop at the top of the garden which is about 200 feet from the house.

2 cameras are connected to the second access point, 1 dv recorder with 2 cameras to the repeater/ access point and 2 cameras to the nighthawk.

The 2 cameras connected to the nighthawk are displaying correctly and I can change the names and icons without problems.

The issue seems to be with anything that is connected to or through the repeater because they are all showing the repeaters mac address even though they have their own ip addresses.

I changed the name and icon of the repeater to show it was a router / repeater and it changed all the ip camera names as well so now I see multiple repeaters. 

I haven't had chance to apply myself to finding the solution to this yet.

I would be interested to know if the devices you are trying to change the icons for are all showing the same mac address.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

This issue is like a fil-rouge to many similar interoperability issues between the Netgear routers and the Nighthawk resp. Genie Apps we're experiencing for years. For some combinations things work fine - at least as long as there are just a small number of devices connected. Beyond ...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7