Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Admin Password Reset Security Questions

MiamiCarrie
Follower

Admin Password Reset Security Questions

Need assistance and honestly surprised there is no way to resolve this with any support from Netgear.  I am simply trying to update the software for latest version.  I attempted to use the Nighthawk app which asks for an admin password.  I used the password on the back of the netgear router but it declines it.  I attempt to reset and the 2 security passwords are unknown to me as answers.  Frankly, it asks me what is my younger sister's first name.  I don't have a younger sister.  From here there is no way to resolve this problem.  Does anyone at Netgear service their products or their platform for a simple password reset?  Do I really have to pay someone to help me fix this?

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

@MiamiCarrie wrote:

I attempted to use the Nighthawk app which asks for an admin password.  I used the password on the back of the netgear router but it declines it.

The admin password on the back of any Netgear router I'm aware of is password (yes, it's there in white text on the grey background!) - and nothing else. The other information you find on the label (in black print) is the default wireless network name (SSID) and the wireless security key (that's not equal the admin password).

Thanks to Netgears impressive router "design", the router Web UI does ask for recovery questions regardless if these have been ever set-up. If not, it's a "dead end".

So try first with:

admin

password 

Message 2 of 3

@MiamiCarrie wrote:

Need assistance and honestly surprised there is no way to resolve this with any support from Netgear.  I am simply trying to update the software for latest version.  I attempted to use the Nighthawk app which asks for an admin password.  I used the password on the back of the netgear router but it declines it.  I attempt to reset and the 2 security passwords are unknown to me as answers.  Frankly, it asks me what is my younger sister's first name.  I don't have a younger sister.  From here there is no way to resolve this problem.  Does anyone at Netgear service their products or their platform for a simple password reset?  Do I really have to pay someone to help me fix this?

As @schumaku says, password recovery is broken.

To expand on the earlier answer, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7