Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Annoying Genie-Media-Servers

Flam3shadow
Follower

Annoying Genie-Media-Servers

Hello Comunity,

i dont know since when it is but it ist a little bit annoying.

At network overview on my fritzbox my pc is shown as "Genie-Media-Servers--KMHarnauGaertner-Windows"

The correct name should be KMHarnauGaertner. I discovered it is related to Netgear Genie, but if i turn off Media server at Netgear genie, uninstall it and restart pc, the problem isnt resolved. The original PC connection is listed under unused.

Flam3shadow_1-1657030480186.png

Where does it come from and how can i fix it?

I would be grateful for any help.

Flam3

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Annoying Genie-Media-Servers

Grüezi @Flam3shadow 

Challenge AVM why they use very different name spaces for naming the devices in these connected devices view. It's clear that your Windows system was recognized before once - under the IP address 192.168.178.35 - as KMHarnauGaertner.

For some reason, your Windows system does use different IP addresses. Typical case is that it might have multiple network adapters, Ethernet; WiFi, or some legacy technology WiFi extenders doing MAC address translation. And the DHCP server does hand out one IP by MAC address.

Based on this IP address, the router does try to recognize, identify, and name the device - individually, and then based on information the Fritz! can find on the device.  Here it's the DLNA (UPnP-AV) server in place as part of the Genie installation, for the "My Media" service:

Netger Genie - My Media.PNG

So pure technically, this name can be changed.

Two questions re remaining:

1. Do you need Genie My Media sharing your local media to some DLNA systems on your LAN? If not, untick "Share my files" and "Allow play ...".

2. What is the reason you still keep the legacy Genie App operational?

Grüsse aus der Schweiz,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 3

Re: Annoying Genie-Media-Servers

@schumaku wrote:

2. What is the reason you still keep the legacy Genie App operational?

Possibly because it is a very useful app that does things that are a faff, or impossible, with the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

There are several features that are enough to keep it running all the time on my PCs.

If it works, don't fix it.

Is there any reason why we shouldn't keep the legacy Genie App operational?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7