Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anywhere Access

CherryMI
Tutor

Anywhere Access

I was told by Netgear support that there is an ongoing problem currently using Anywhere Access from my Mobile Device.  Does anyone know if there is a timeframe to resolve.  When I try to access my router remotely, I continue to get the message that the router cannot be found.  I've had the problem before and for some reason it has resolved itself within a day.  This time, it has been unreachable for 5 days and still not able to connect.

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and no, NG doesn't post when this will be fixed. 

What mobile platform are you using? 

Can you connect while at home on local network?

What NG model router do you have? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 17
CherryMI
Tutor

I can connect while connected to the local network and I am on an Apple IOS.  I have seen this happened every now and then but it always resolves itself.  The router is a Nighthawk R7000P.  

Since I am away from home at the moment, I had a friend go cycle the router and this did not resolve the issue.

Message 3 of 17

@CherryMI wrote:

I was told by Netgear support that there is an ongoing problem currently using Anywhere Access from my Mobile Device. 

You don't say what Netgear support said, what your mobile device is or when you talked to them.

There was a problem with the Android version of the app and Anywhere Access.

They fixed it about a week ago.

Unfortunately, not for the first time, fixing Android broke iOS.

It took about a month to mend the Android app. It is anybody's guess as to how long they will take to fix iOS.

Message 4 of 17
CherryMI
Tutor

I talked with Netgear support last week and they indicated they know there is a problem and they are working to fix it but nothing after that.  

Message 5 of 17

@CherryMI wrote:

I talked with Netgear support last week and they indicated they know there is a problem ...

A known problem for what?

As I explained, it isn't currently a problem for Android.

That the iOS app is bust was also known here. It became evident almost as soon as the new version of the app landed.

But the problem that came up was to do with "missing tiles" rather than Anywhere Access.

Solved: Re: Netgear nighthawk app no speed test - NETGEAR Communities

Re: Nighthawk app missing remote management, speed... - NETGEAR Communities

As you can see from that conversation, this is a zombie bug, first reported nearly two years ago, that has come back from the dead.

Message 6 of 17
CherryMI
Tutor

Both of these items are talking about the Speed Test.  The problem here is not that Speed Test is not working.  The problem here is just establishing a connection to my router and being able to see the status of it and performing a remote reboot of the router.  

Message 7 of 17

@CherryMI wrote:

Both of these items are talking about the Speed Test.  The problem here is not that Speed Test is not working.  The problem here is just establishing a connection to my router and being able to see the status of it and performing a remote reboot of the router.  

That is why I was trying to find out just what it was you were discussing with Netgear.

Your original description was thin on details.

There are still unanswered questions from @FURRYe38. (Thanks for telling us that it was an iOS thing.) What is the box that sits between your router and the Internet?

There is also an intimate link between apps and firmware. What firmware do you have on your R7000P?

The posts I linked to detail known issues with iOS and the new version of the app. These are problems with several reports. Hence those messages.

I have seen no sign that a lot of people have the problem you report. Are there any other reports of problems with Anywhere Access and iOS?

So, if you are the only victim of this, there's a chance that you have a one off that might be fixed with the current version of the app.

Message 8 of 17
RobWMS
Aspirant

Anywhere Access started failing for me (android, R6900V2) back in late Spring, and I've been in touch with NG several times but with no luck (had some hang up on me when I was describing the problem). Finally, Friday 12/2, the NG support stated that the Anywhere Access problem root cause is in the APP, and they anticipate a fix in 2-3 days (aka, todat)today. I won't hold my breath, but I found some ...peace in hearing NG admit 1. That there is a problem, and 2. That they are working to resolve it. We shall see.
Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Access Anywhere is working for me with my R9000 and iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.1.2, NH app version v2.21.1.354:

IMG_1584.PNGIMG_1585.PNG

Message 10 of 17
CherryMI
Tutor

Im running the same versions of IOS, App Version and Firmware Version V1.3.1.64 and still have not been able to get it to work.  It worked fine 3 weeks ago.

Message 11 of 17

No problems with Android and two routers.

AnywhereAccess_Nighthawk.jpg

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this work? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Nighthawk-app-not-connecting-but-Wi-Fi-works-gt-Try-T...

FYI about Apple devices:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

@CherryMI wrote:

Im running the same versions of IOS, App Version and Firmware Version V1.3.1.64 and still have not been able to get it to work.  It worked fine 3 weeks ago.

Message 13 of 17
digidave12
Aspirant

I haven’t been able to get Anywhere Access to connect in the Nighthawk iOS app for the last few months either. I’m running iOS 16.1.1 and firmware v1.0.10.86_2.0.40 on an RAXE500. Whenever I try to activate it I get a message “Something went wrong, sorry about this. Please try again.”
Message 14 of 17

@digidave12 wrote:
I haven’t been able to get Anywhere Access to connect in the Nighthawk iOS app for the last few months either.

Android and iOS apps have been vying with each other to see which one can bring a new bug to the party. Netgear fixes one and the other throws a wobbly.

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

There new FW for the RAXE500.

@digidave12 wrote:
I haven’t been able to get Anywhere Access to connect in the Nighthawk iOS app for the last few months either. I’m running iOS 16.1.1 and firmware v1.0.10.86_2.0.40 on an RAXE500. Whenever I try to activate it I get a message “Something went wrong, sorry about this. Please try again.”

Message 16 of 17
bdsmith63
Apprentice

I am running iOS 16.3, RBS750 with fw v4.6.14.13, have tried all sorts of troubleshooting steps, nothing will work.  I opened a case with Netgear support since I pay for it, we'll see what they say.  A few weeks ago I reached out by phone and they suggested I reinstall the latest firmware, I did that, and no resolution.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7